Migrating Apple Mail

Reaction score
I received my 2018 Mac Mini Catalina recently with the following configuration:
3.0GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz), 8GB 2666MHz DDR4, 1TB SSD storag, eIntel UHD Graphics 630.

And I think I successfully migrated everything from my old 2011 Mac Mini.

Except the email... Well, the app is there just fine, but not the emails themselves. I've spent hours on and off for 3 days trying to migrate or import them. I've looked up some advice by Safari search, but it doesn't work for me. I'm sure it is my lack of understanding. Email migration seems to be a blind spot for me. I do well enough generally, but email migration just baffles me. When I went from a 2008 Mac to the 2011 Mac Mini, I never could migrate the emails and lost them.

The existing emails are important to me for both informational and sentimental value. The old Mac Mini 2011 is functioning in an old way and I could just leave it operating offline just to get at them, but that seems like a waste of space. But the point is, I still have them directly on the 2011 Mac Mini, so they remain available. I THINK they are on Time Machine. Plus I made a complete backup to my 4TB My Passport external drive.

So I may have several sources to get at the emails from.

There must be a direct way to do this, I'm just not seeing it.

HELP!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I have found that the best (not fastest) way to migrate email if you don't do a full migration using Migration Assistant, is to export the email from Mail application on the old Mac to an external drive, then import to the new Mac's Mail app.

Import or export mailboxes

See if that would work for you.

C

Ask a Question