Major startup issue

Reaction score
Well my macbook froze, which, rarely occurs.. at first it was just firefox that froze, but i couldn't forcequit and when i tried scrolling across my toolbar mac os x froze as well, so i shut it down with the power key and tried restarting (note, i have boot camp and so i must hold down the option key upon start up to boot into mac) well, as i tried holding down option to choose mac os x to boot into, nothing happend, and when i released it, thinking it would boot into windows and i would restart again, nothing happened.. and it stayed on the grey startup screen for about a minute, before the worst sight ever came across my screen: "no bootable disk, insert boot disk and press anything to continue" well, needless to say, i was upset, and after a few more hard restarts all ending in the same effect, i brought out my original startup disk and put it in and tried starting up holding D to run a hardware check. nothing happened.. so i restarted again, holding option to boot into mac.. nothing happened.. again for shift to boot into safe mode.. nothing..so i restarted holding no key and still nothing happened, just the grey bootup screen for a minute or so and then the black screen of death with "no bootable disk..." well.. i figured.. ok, my boot up disk is in.. i'll press a button..

but nothing happens..

please help! i'm on a macbook from about a year and a half ago, with all my firmware up to date (i run weekly software updates) and haven't installed any new programs recently or anything.. if you have any questions please ask and thanks a lot.. my macbook means a lot to me!

Reaction score
Holey Moley!! I am having exactly the same problem! My iMac is not reading the DVD drive, no system folders, no anything. I can't even get into Open Firmware. I did a complete backup of the computer and did a complete reinstall of the system software, and I can boot from it using another Mac, but it refuses to boot on its own. I booted my PowerMac up as a Firewire drive and tried a restart using 'option' and it gave me one option, a Windows Firewire drive (which I assume was my PowerMac, but I don't have any Windows files on that machine at all, I don't even do any Windows sharing). I clicked it and I got the same message - "no disk, insert boot disk and hit any key" and of course, nothing happens ...

Well any help I can get would be appreciated and if I figure it out on my own, I'll be sure to let you know. Good Luck!
Chris

Reaction score
Holey Moley indeed! That's very odd. Have you guys thought about taking your Mac in for a check-up at an authorized Apple dealer?

Ask a Question