MacOS sierra installation error

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Macbook pro and recently tried to reset it by erasing the disks and reinstalling Big Sur MacOS, this worked but the remote management from my past business was still on it. I then tried resetting it again by erasing the disks and installing macOS Sierra, as that was the option in recovery mode, I think i made a mistake erasing the disks as now startup now shows a folder and question mark, and then the problem in recovery mode is when installing MacOS sierra it seems fine but then the blue bar gets to the end like it is finished and it gives me an error saying An error occured while preparing the installion. Try running this installation again. Ive tried fixing it my changing the date and messing around with the disk utility but I think I have done something wrong. Any help would be great if you need more information please tell me Thankyou.

Reaction score
Hi There,

Several things to note...

After you install Big Sur and boot the mac holding down Command R which boots into recovery, it should be the recovery for Big Sur
Once you installed macOS Big Sur, the recovery should not show macOS Sierra.
When you install Big Sur, the installer changes the format of the drive to APFS, which is not compatible with macOS Sierra.

With that said, are you using an external drive that has a recovery partition on it?

If you boot your MacBook Pro from an external drive, you will need to reformat the internal drive to Mac OS Extended Journalled in order to install macOS Sierra on it. The Installer will not see an APFS volume, so unless you have formatted the drive first you may not be installing Sierra on the internal drive.

Reaction score
yes well i'm not sure what happened, i mustve formatted one of the internal disks when erasing and it then changed to sierra. I forgot to mention that it starts up internet recovery when I start before recovery mode if this is important. I am now going to try booting it from MacOS sierra on a usb. Thanks.

Ask a Question