Will macOS High Sierra run on a Mac Pro 2.1 running 10.11.6 ?

Sky

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to mac's and just need a little advice please. Will macOS High Sierra run on my Mac Pro 2.1 running 10.11.6 ?
I'm being offered the download but I'm really unsure whether to hit the button and download it. . Maybe rightly so? Anyway. Thank you in advance! Love & Peace always from the UK.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi Sky, I've also just seen the notification in the upper right tempting me with the delights of macOS High Sierra.

macOS High Sierra has the same requirements as its predecessor:

What is the model of your Mac Pro, I'm sure you would be good to go but beforehand I would caution you to make a full backup of your Mac & do a web search to check compatibility with any 3rd Party app you may rely on.

I think a lot of the initial 3rd party app issues just may be on the cusp of resolution but you need to be certain.

Personally, I'm going to wait a while longer because of the new Apple File System, if you are unaware of the new changes you should search the web for High Sierra & you will find a lot of info about APFS.

Basically, it's all about what 3rd Party apps have been broken by this new file system & as I wrote many have now been "fixed" & how this new files system will affect you if at all it will.

Sky

Reaction score
Hi Sky, I've also just seen the notification in the upper right tempting me with the delights of macOS High Sierra.

What is the model of your Mac Pro, I'm sure you would be good to go but beforehand I would caution you to make a full backup of your Mac & do a web search to check compatibility with any 3rd Party app you may rely on.

I think a lot of the initial 3rd party app issues just may be on the cusp of resolution but you need to be certain.

Personally, I'm going to wait a while longer because of the new Apple File System, if you are unaware of the new changes you should search the web for High Sierra & you will find a lot of info about APFS.
Basically, it's all about what 3rd Party apps have been broken by this new file system & as I wrote many have now been "fixed" & how this new files system will affect you if at all it will.
Thank you for your reply, Isn't Mac Pro 2.1 the model? I've learnt lots already! So basically its wait a while. Would you know if there are downsides to waiting? or even just keeping the system as it is? because it works great and I'm aware that its really easy with a click of a button for it to go wrong.

Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest Sky I am not 100% but if you click on the  in the upper left of your desktop & select About This Mac it will tell you the exact model.

Do your research rather than just clicking the Install button. Can't see a downside to either jumping in or waiting if you feel you have researched the pros & cons.

If you are happy with El Capitan then it's up to you, using the info you glean from the web you need to make your own mind up if & when you want to upgrade the OS.

I usually just go ahead & upgrade when the OS version is maybe .4 or .5. By then most 3rd Party app developers would or should have released updates for their apps that make them compatible with the latest OS version.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If it is a MacPro2,1, then it is a Mac Pro (9-core) from 2007-2008. That should only run a maximum of Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5, and cannot run Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. You can verify the model in  > About This Mac, and it will list your Mac's AppleCare name. Or,  > About This Mac > System Report... > Hardware > Hardware Overview > Model Identifier. You can also enter your Mac's serial number here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage, which will also give your Mac's AppleCare name.

I agree with honestone...if your Mac is indeed compatible with High Sierra, I would wait due to some of the major changes under the hood and application version compatibility.

Hope that helps,

C

Sky

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest Sky I am not 100% but if you click on the  in the upper left of your desktop & select About This Mac it will tell you the exact model.

Do your research rather than just clicking the Install button. Can't see a downside to either jumping in or waiting if you feel you have researched the pros & cons.

If you are happy with El Capitan then it's up to you, using the info you glean from the web you need to make your own mind up if & when you want to upgrade the OS.

I usually just go ahead & upgrade when the OS version is maybe .4 or .5. By then most 3rd Party app developers would or should have released updates for their apps that make them compatible with the latest OS version.
You're a star! Thank you. . I need to earn faster and do my due diligence. . Sky. .

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Yeah, due dilligence that's the buzz word of these modern times ;)

Nevertheless, it's extremely important with regards to our experience behind the keyboard.

Sky

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If it is a MacPro2,1, then it is a Mac Pro (9-core) from 2007-2008. That should only run a maximum of Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5, and cannot run Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. You can verify the model in  > About This Mac, and it will list your Mac's AppleCare name. Or,  > About This Mac > System Report... > Hardware > Hardware Overview > Model Identifier. You can also enter your Mac's serial number here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage, which will also give your Mac's AppleCare name.

I agree with honestone...if your Mac is indeed compatible with High Sierra, I would wait due to some of the major changes under the hood and application version compatibility.

Hope that helps,

C
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I followed your instructions and it says MacPro 2.1 But its definitely running 10.11.6 as well. Someone before me up graded lots of hardware inside it so maybe that is why it can run on this OS system. 2x3ghz cpu. 64gb ram. 4gb graphics card 4tb hard drive etc.. Could that be why it will run this software? Sky. .

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I've researched & it seems highly likely that the original owner had tinkered with the bootloader on your Mac Pro to enable it to run a later version of Mac OS X.

Based on that you may not be able to upgrade beyond El Capitan as it could "break" that "tinkering" returning your Mac Pro to needing Mac OS 10.7.5 again to run.

Because I don't have physical access to your Mac Pro this is just my impression.

Sky

Reaction score
I've researched & it seems highly likely that the original owner had tinkered with the bootloader on your Mac Pro to enable it to run a later version of Mac OS X.

Based on that you may not be able to upgrade beyond El Capitan as it could "break" that "tinkering" returning your Mac Pro to needing Mac OS 10.7.5 again to run.

Because I don't have physical access to your Mac Pro this is just my impression.
Thank you. I've just been looking and apparently, if it has two hard drives, Which it does. It will run this software ok. (Video on youtube) I think its all adding up to. "Leave it alone" Sky. .

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I've just made the quantum leap from Mac OS 10.7 Lion to 10.12 Sierra which also saw a quantum leap in equipment! The wallet took a beating but honestly the old Core 2 Duo was struggling with the modern day web, other than that it runs beautifully & if I stay off the internet it has plenty of life in it.

I am absolutely loving my new iMac though & it puts me back in the game :)

Sky

Reaction score
I've just made the quantum leap from Mac OS 10.7 Lion to 10.12 Sierra which also saw a quantum leap in equipment! The wallet took a beating but honestly the old Core 2 Duo was struggling with the modern day web, other than that it runs beautifully & if I stay off the internet it has plenty of life in it.

I am absolutely loving my new iMac though & it puts me back in the game :)
New goodies! :) lol I bought mine for video editing about three weeks ago. I made this with mine..

Ask a Question