SOLVED MacOS Now Warns Me That "This Webpage (Flickr) Is Using Significant Memory"

Reaction score
Lately I have been getting a top-of-the-page warning when I browse Flickr too fast. (And once I was bumped off Flickr entirely.) In the not-too-distant past, the computer would get bogged down and that was the only warning. Clearly, I don't want to leave Flickr. What are the options? I am using Big Sur on my MacPro (Late 2013), which has 16 GB of memory.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

There actually two similar alerts you may see:
-Significant Energy
-Significant Memory

Usually, those alerts are caused by a web page that has a lot of video, advertisements, or trackers that are loading/running concurrently or in the background. Safari, especially the more recent versions 13/14, monitor a lot more than it used to for security and battery life purposes.

Things you can do:
-Review any Safari Extensions you may have installed/enabled
-Install a content blocker extension like AdBlock
-Clear your cache regularly
-Use another browser like Google Chrome

Hope that helps.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory!
I do have AdBlock and wouldn't part with it.
It's humorous that Safari now worries about the battery life of my plug-in MacPro.
I will clean the cache regularly ...
Safari has hundreds of my bookmarks that I don't want to transfer. Also, it displays the bookmarks in an intuitive way, unlike Firefox. And it is more flexible than Firefox in important respects. But the Autofill works erratically, so I go to Firefox for filling out forms, mostly petitions.
Oddly, Adblock is unable to block the top ad on Yahoo! Mail, while Firefox handily hides it.

Ask a Question