SOLVED MacBook Pro and HEIC.

Reaction score
Ran into difficulties recently filling out a State of Ca form and trying to upload a pic of my vaccine card. Hard a tough time. If I had used my iphone 12 then I could send a pic in HEIC and it would be converted because that it how I have settings set-up. "Transfer to MAC or PC" Automatic.
Since I prefer using the larger screen and keyboard of my Macbook Pro, what would be the equivalent settings in order to automatically send pics air dropped to my Mac from my phone in the HEIC format?
Thanks,

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I am surprised that a state website would support the HEIC format. It may be best to use JPG when submitting.

I haven't run into the issue, since HEIC format was introduced with the iPhone 7, and I am still running an iPhone 6s. ;)

I believe that the AirDrop transfer between the iPhone and a Mac should be for whatever format the image is in by default. Maybe another member that has an iPhone that supports HEIC will chime in.

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks, Maybe my question was not clear.
First a statement, iPhone 11 takes some pics with HEIC but has a setting to allow it to transfer HEIC as JPEG when sending on ( except when air dropping to my Mac, that stays HEIC , as you say, by default).
My question is: Is there a setting on my Mac where it can transfer HEIC as JPEG when sending on without me having to do anything? Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the clarification, understood.

I think that is the default for AirDrop...whatever the original file format is, but I can't find a definitive answer. The only things I found were to enable JPG mode on the iPhone, or AirDrop the HEIC, then batch convert with Preview.

Wish I could test it for you, but I don't have a device that works with HEIC as I mentioned.

C

Reaction score
Thanks. I prefer to work on my Mac rather than my phone for the obvious reasons of larger screen and real keyboard. If I have a need to send a pic somewhere I can always use my phone which automatically turns HEIC into jpeg when sending. You are right that using Preview is one way to change HEIC into JPEG , its just another step to remember to have to do. There is another way in "quick-action" but seems to have more steps. I appreciate your help and will list this as "solved" because there seems to be no way to have my Mac automatically change an outgoing HEIC to JPEG. Thanks for the info.

Ask a Question