Mac wont power up!!!

Reaction score
Hi im new to this forum, i have a mac g4 everything was working fine till i moved it from ustairs in my house to downstairs.i didnt drop it or anything but when i set it up and pressed power it chimed and i heard the fans and hard disk spin up and then it just stopped and knocked off!now it wont boot at all,when i press the power button it lights up but only if i keep it pressed,as soon as i take my finger off it the light goes off!
any help would be greatly appreciated as ive tried resetting it using that button on the motherboard and that didnt work,ive unplugged all perhiperals and tried a different power cord and different sockets all over the house,everything in the case is connected tightly so i have run out of ideeas of what it could be,if anybody can help that would be great,thanks

Reaction score
Hi there
Before you moved the machine did you have any trouble with date and time ? This could indicate internal battery failure also the problems you are having now could be battery failure. which type of G4 do you have and which OS are you using?
Teapot

Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply,i have osx running its a dual core g4,i didnt have any problems that i noticed to be honest,i hadnt used the computer in 3-4 weeks tho!so will i get another battery or what would you recommend?if its not the battery could it be something really serious?hoping its not a mother board or something like that,if it was the psu would i get the light on the power button lighting when i press it?it goes out tho as soon as i release the button.Thanks for your help

Ric

Reaction score
Hi keithorl,

I think teapot is right in the 'battery malfunctioning idea', you say you have pressed the button on the mother board, do you know which one ?

Ideally you want to unplug the power cord, then take the battery out and count to 10 (20 to be sure !) whilst holding down the power on button...then release the power button, reinsert the battery and plug the power back in, then try booting...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi, thank you i will try that when i get home from work, thank you for your help ill let you know how i got on, Keithorl

Reaction score
Hello, ive since tried what you reccomended with no results unfortunately, I dont know what else to do only replace the power supply or is there anyway to test if the power supply is faulty before i go and buy a new one?
I appreciate all the help so far and any other suggestions you may have thanks.Keithorl

Ask a Question