Mac wont boot, cannot enter recovery mode, what to do?

Reaction score
Hi,
Starting today my mac will not boot, but just loops on restart (it shows the apple logo).

I have tried all the suggestions i can find, but i cannot get in to recovery mode (pressing cmd+r does nothing)

I tried the internet recovery but that also just loops.
(It completes the progressbar after which it just reboots again).

I tried connecting my time machine backup, but it does not show up when i boot pressing alt.

Pressing alt, it does show my windows bootcamp partition where it boots fine, so it doesnt seem to be a harware issue.

Any suggestions of what else i can do?

Thankful for any help.

Reaction score
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

What Mac do you have? What model, year and what version of macOS is installed on it?

Reaction score
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

What Mac do you have? What model, year and what version of macOS is installed on it?

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Here are the specs:

16‑inch MacBook Pro​
2,4‑GHz 8‑core Intel Core i9-processor , 9e generatie, Turbo Boost 5,0 GHz
64 GB 2666‑MHz DDR4-memory
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M with 8 GB HBM2-memory
4 TB SSD​

I bought it new from the Apple Store in 2021
But it might be that it is the 2019 model

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, it's a 2019 MacBook Pro. But it's the 2nd generation. The 1st generation of the 2019 had the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M video card and maxed out at 32GB of RAM.

With that said the 1st thing that I would try and do is to reset the SMC. Then after you reset the SMC boot your MBP into diagnostics mode.

To reset the SMC.
  • Shut down the computer.
  • Plug in the USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  • On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time. and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.

After you reset the SMC when you restart the computer hold down the Commnd and D keys to enter Diagnostics.

Reaction score
Yes, it's a 2019 MacBook Pro. But it's the 2nd generation. The 1st generation of the 2019 had the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M video card and maxed out at 32GB of RAM.

With that said the 1st thing that I would try and do is to reset the SMC. Then after you reset the SMC boot your MBP into diagnostics mode.

To reset the SMC.
  • Shut down the computer.
  • Plug in the USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  • On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time. and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.

After you reset the SMC when you restart the computer hold down the Commnd and D keys to enter Diagnostics.
I tried this, but unfortunately holding Command+D does nothing.
It just shuts down and reboots again.

Reaction score
If you have another Mac that has Thunderbolt 3 ports, you may be able to use Apple Configurator to Revive or Restore your MacBook Pro.

If you Revive your MacBook Pro, you shouldn't lose any data on it.

If you Restore your MacBook Pro, the internal storage will be erased losing all data

Here are the instructions on how to do this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/108900

Ask a Question