Mac shuts down, all known options tried

Reaction score
Hello. I have a Macbook Pro, 2013. 2GHz 8GB. It shuts down at random moments, sometimes after being on for a few minutes, sometimes after many hours. The screen goes black, there's about a 30 second pause and then it shuts completely.
The graphics card and hard drive has been replaced. The hard drive has been erased and it's been left running with no added software. The SMC and NVRAM have been reset many times. It's had 2 diagnostic tests and second opinions....no one can find an actual problem with it that can be repaired.

Has anyone experience a problem like this? I keep feeling I'm missing something obvious, but alternatively something very complex has gone wrong with it. I like the Mac and have no desire to upgrade it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-You had the logic board replaced, not just the graphics card, correct?
-Who did the repair?

It does sound like a logic board, thermal, or possibly top case/power button issue.

C

Reaction score
My older iMac had exactly the same symptoms, and I was lucky to have an electronics tech sitting next to me at the time.

He fixed it by removing oxidation from RAM module contacts using rubbing alcohol. Looks like that might be your case too, since logic board had already been replaced.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-You had the logic board replaced, not just the graphics card, correct?
-Who did the repair?

It does sound like a logic board, thermal, or possibly top case/power button issue.

C
yup, that would be the places to look. Maybe even the bat? But whatever the case may be, it seems at this point a new m1 would be in order. ive had old MBPs that I never figured out, and had to toss (if only Apple supplied the schematics, or I was a Louis Rossmann maybe I coulda fixed, maybe). But to hunt and peck without the right tools, that's nuts.

Reaction score
Hello. I have a Macbook Pro, 2013. 2GHz 8GB. It shuts down at random moments, sometimes after being on for a few minutes, sometimes after many hours. The screen goes black, there's about a 30 second pause and then it shuts completely.
The graphics card and hard drive has been replaced. The hard drive has been erased and it's been left running with no added software. The SMC and NVRAM have been reset many times. It's had 2 diagnostic tests and second opinions....no one can find an actual problem with it that can be repaired.

Has anyone experience a problem like this? I keep feeling I'm missing something obvious, but alternatively something very complex has gone wrong with it. I like the Mac and have no desire to upgrade it.
Yes I have and had to send it back for repair under warranty again. It is still being repaired. Yes, they replaced the main board at a cost of $500. But again, it just shut down and wouldn’t restart. I will let you know what they tell me.

Ask a Question