Mac Pro Freezing on certain tasks

Reaction score
Long time Lurker, first time Poster.

My Mac pro has been freezing recently which requires me to hard boot and I'm not quite sure whats going on. Let me go a bit more into detail.

Now when I say freeze, I don't mean beach balling, I mean literally the entire screen is motionless and I must hard reboot. Its odd really, the computer only freezing when doing certain tasks, such as when I render 3D graphics with Cinema4D, or whenever I play certain games on steam.

I have recently installed windows as a partition for bootcamp, but I don't believe that is the issue. I have experienced the freezes while running my machine in both Windows and Mac.

Its important to note that when booting my Mac in SAFEMODE, the freezing does not occur while performing the same tasks. So this leads me to believe there is a process going on thats causing the computer to freeze up?

What I think I have managed to rule out as problems:
- Not a Hard Drive failing issue, I booted from my backup hard drive and the freezing still occurs.
- Not a Heat issue, I've installed iStat and my top temperature barely raises to 60 degrees celsius when freezing occurs.
- Not an issue with the Windows partition, as I booted from my backup drive that is without the partition and the freezes still occur.
- Not a Ram issue, I took my ram cards out and swapped them around.

Any ideas? Could it be a graphics card issue?

Thank you for your help!

Specs:
Mac Pro (Early 2009)
Hardware Overview:
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
ATI Radeon HD 4870:

Reaction score
Check the Console Logs.

It's probably the Print Driver or Scanner Driver.

Reaction score
no printer drivers or anything. but I believe this string of code appears in my console upon crashes.

5/28/12 10:48:56 AM com.apple.WindowServer[95] Mon May 28 10:48:56 Tigris67.local WindowServer[95] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

EDIT: Oh wait, this seems to appear after boot, nevermind.

Ask a Question