Mac OS X unexpectedly quits !!

Ric

Reaction score
Posted on behalf of Abdullah:

Hi Ric:

I am having this problem with my mac. I went through your forum, and you have seemed to tackled a similar scenarion before. Kindly, let me know if you found any thing tangible.

unexpected-quit-osx.jpg

Best Regards

-Abdullah

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Can you possibly give a little more info ?

Does this happen regularly ?

What type of Mac have you got ?

What version of OS is on it ?

What was you doing prior to this message ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thank you Ric.
It happenns often especially while running when more ram and cpu usage is required. For instance, running a swf in browser may cause this to happen OR compiling a CPU intensive application. Sometimes, it just happens without any reason and the computer freezes, and other times a grey screen will come with a prompt to restart.

I have a G5 with dual 1.8 ghz IBM processors
OS 10.4 with the latest updates
Well my Mac started crumbling 3 months after I purchased it. It's been exactly two years. I took it to a repair shop and was told that the CPUs were replaced under Apple's warranty, it continued to happen. I took to another shop and they told me that the logic board has been replaced under Apple's warranty. The problem exists to this day.

-Abdullah

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Abdullah,

A few things...

Presuming that the logic board and CPU's are now ok, then I would look at either the RAM or the software...

Have you tried using a fresh install of OS X, does that still give the same results ?

OS X is very picky about it's RAM, was the RAM Apple supplied or is it third party ?

If you want I will gladly have a look at your log files to see if I can spot anything...

Email them to (e-mail address removed)

The system logs from /var/logs

regards

Ric

Reaction score
The RAM is original. I did change RAM but to no avail. The OSX was also re-installed recently. I will forward you my log folder.

thank you.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

thanks for the log files I have them now. I will take a look at them this evening.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
So other than the suggestion to check if you've added new memory (which I haven't - my iBook G4 is under a year old) I haven't seen many suggestions on what to do when this happens. I checked the SMART disk and it said it was fine. I repaired disk permissions, and then it crashed again 5 minutes later. My main concern is.. is this just going to be annoyance, or is there the likelihood that it will crash like this and NOT restart and then I will lose everything on my drive?

:confused:

Reaction score
Hi

Ive had my mac for 14 months now, MACBOOK PRO and recently my screen all of a sudden goes grey from top to bottom, then a message pops up in 3 or 4 different languages saying i need to restart my computer, what's happening??? It's really annoying and i would like to fix it somehow.

Cheers

Pete

Ask a Question