Mac os problems

Reaction score
macOS loaded 200 GB onto my disk in 1 day. I only recorded and deleted (movies) on my EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE, but when I opened drivedx, I saw 3.3 terabytes, even though it was 3.1 yesterday.

It's possible that when I delete, I move files from my HDD to the trash, so it goes to the SSD on the Mac?

launchd process also loaded 33 GB of information for some reason. What the hell is happening with this darn macOS? For example, I downloaded files via a torrent to my HDD, but the activity monitor counts it as a load on the SSD. How do I find out what is being written to the SSD and what is on my HDD?

Windows works poorly, but there is an opportunity to configure everything. macOS configures me, and I understand that maybe I don't fully understand how it is set up, but I'm just talking about what I see. Every day I use macOS, I realize that all the talk about it being optimized and working very fast is a lie. I had to disable many folders, sections, and the hard drive in Spotlight settings to stop it from indexing every file, as it was slowing down my Mac for several days, even before connecting the HDD. Also, I still don't fully understand why the system continues to record some data through the launchd and karnel_task processes on my SSD. I understand that it's faster because it's indexing, etc., but I don't even have an old model, 16 GB M2 should work great, but it's working unstably. It's scary to think about what will happen next.

The Mac also worked on ventura 13.6 and now on sonoma 14.2.1.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 08.55.12.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 08.55.12.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Empty your Trash. There are also utilities for erasing items from your drive without moving them to Trash and emptying.
I've already emptied the trash, but what's the difference? while I am moving any files to the trash, they are already being written to the ssd, thereby destroying it over time

Reaction score
Option + Command + Delete. This shortcut deletes the file permanently and immediately, meaning that it is not sent to Trash but removed from Mac right away.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Each internal and external drive connected to your Mac has its own Trash. If you "move" something to the Trash on an external, it is not copied to your internal drive. File aren't actually moved to the Trash...Finder just sets a flag on the file to identify that it is in the Trash and will be deleted when the Trash is emptied. If you open the Trash, it lists all files that have been moved to the Trash on all currently connected drives, but the files still reside on the drive they were originally on.

You can verify this with an external drive. Make sure the Trash is empty, move a file to the Trash on the external. The Trash will show that is has files in it. Disconnect the external drive without emptying the Trash, and the Trash will then show as empty. Reconnect the drive, and the Trash will again show it contains files.

launchd, backupd, and other tasks in Activity monitor are simply logging processes and data throughput. Data written/read aren't broken down by drive - it is just computing the totals of data that they have processed.

An M2 should be lightning quick. Of course, it will take some time to index files on all connected drives. A 3 TB external could take quite a while for Spotlight to complete its initial indexing, and if files are being moved, deleted, etc. during the initial indexing, that will add time.

As far as the slowness, did you install any antivirus or third-party utilites that have any sort of real-time monitoring? If so, those have been known to affect performance and cause slowness. You can always disable those features and run them manually to see if that speeds things up.

Hope that helps!

C

Ask a Question