Mac OS 10.2.8 Laptop G4

Reaction score
My problem is that the DVD, firewire, USB port does not shows up. The hardware recognize the. I see them through the Disk utility. I would like some light on what to do.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

can you create a new user account ?

Do they show up in that ?

Has there been any new software loaded, since they stopped working ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
The computer works fine, I can create new users, etc. However If I set it on T mode to see it from another computer as a hard disk. I can't get through the firewire. I can not back up files through USB port nor print.

I can not think of a new software recently.

Ric

Reaction score
Oh, so is the problem when you boot it into Target mode the Mac can't see the Laptop ?

Do you have the Silver Apple Hardware Test CD ? It should have come with the 10.2 disks !

If you have, can you boot from it and see if it shows any problems.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I already tested it. Starting it by pressing "C". It did test the hardware. Everything that was tested (wireless card, logic, memory) was Ok. I know the devices are Ok because it did take the CD. It is a software that does not recognize them.

Ric

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't realise that you had already tested it.

If you believe it is a software problem then I would suggest doing an "Archive & Install" and put a fresh system on...then you will be able to access them.

Have you had a look through the System logs to see if anything is showing up ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric,

I am concern on doing Archive & Install. I would like to back up but if I do not have another alternative.

First I will look through the System logs to see. What would I be looking for? I have never read logs.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

anything that says "error" in it...

Type 'error' into the filter panel...

system-log-error.jpg

As long as you have sufficient space for an Archive and Install then you should be okay, I would generally advise to backup before doing this...but as you can't backup I can't see an alternative...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question