Mac Boot Error (Black Squares Dotting a White Background)

Reaction score
When my Mac starts up the Apple logo appears for a few seconds then the screen turns white with little black squares dotting a blank backdrop. It boots up fine in safe mode but as soon as I restart in anything other than safe mode the issue comes up once more. I've only ever owned a PC so I'm unfamiliar with most potential solutions. Here are my computer specs:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8.1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.29f1
Serial Number (system): W882246EZE3
Hardware UUID: 514FEA43-9EE2-5AA8-BD18-F587B83567A1
MAC OS X Version 10.6.8

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That is an iMac (20-inch Early 2008). More than likely, it has a corrupted OS X install, or a failing logic board. Since it boots normally into Safe Mode, I would bet it is probably an OS X and/or video driver issue.

-Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data/files?

You could try the following:
-How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac
-Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
-Repair disk permissions with Disk Utility

See if any of those help and let us know.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory. Thanks for the reply.

I do not have a Time Machine or any other backup of my data/files, but I'm honestly looking to do a factory reset if I can so none of the data in the computer matters to me anyway. Is there any way the functions you listed can be performed with a standard keyboard? I don't have an official Mac keyboard (the owner who gave me the iMac lost the keyboard apparently) and those are expensive.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, all of the above can be done with a standard USB keyboard. On a non-Apple keyboard that doesn't have a Command key, you would use the Windows key, as it maps to the Command key.

C

Ask a Question