Local network problem

Reaction score
G4 MDD networked with Mini for approx. 3 years now via a LinkSys BEFSR41 wired router. Ethernet cables are CAT6's with gold-plated ends. Did an erase/install (+ updates) of Panther on G4. ISP is Comcast Cable. Just upgraded my Motorola modem from Surfboard 5100 to SB 5101 yesterday. My network settings are ok...file sharing is turned on...I can ping each 'puter from the other (showing my connection is good). I have internet access (showing that the router is still good according to Cisco). Now, however, I can't even bring up the window on the G4 asking for my pw....all I get is connection failed, no response from the server. From the Mini, I get Unknown User, incorrect password or login is disabled. I haven't a clue what the problem can be. Everything I do daily depends upon the network connection. Surely, someone in here should be able to help.

Reaction score
Update - I held the reset button on the router in for 30 seconds to restore default settings. When trying to connect (to the Mini from the G4), I get the window asking for my password....but it tells me it's wrong. By default, the password is my admin pw.....yet, it won't work. From the Mini (trying to connect to the G4), I get the same result.

Ask a Question