Leopard didn't change spots just auto-fill passwords

Reaction score
Strange one here......I upgraded to Leopard with no problems except.....it no longer autofills my passwords in Safari. It states "This password is different. Would you like to replace the saved password with this one?" - even if I say yes I still get the same message. I have tried the following:
- Repaired permissions
- Gone to Safari; Preferences; Auto-fill; Edit and then removed all websites it is supposed to be remembering. Doing this means that it just asks if I want to save the password when I go to a website (i.e. as it would if you went to a new website) however if I say yes then go back to the site I get the dreaded "This password is different. Would you like to replace the saved password with this one?"

Incidentally this just happens on my account (I'm the administrator) but on no one else's account.

Any clues anyone?

Cheers,

Aid
1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo iMac
Mac OS X 10.5.1

Reaction score
I am having exactly the same problem and the same message. Any help gratefully received. :)

Reaction score
I had his problem using OS X 10.4.11 so I tried this and it worked. Athough I was using 3.0.4 when it screwed up. So I deleted it and used 2.0.4 when the same thing happened. Try using a variation of what I did with OS X 10.4.11. I suppose you will have to use OS X 10.5.

I don't know if it will work under 10.5. Good Luck.

1. Try using System-->Utilities-->Disk Utility
then Repair Permissions.

2. Remove these files to desktop: Home-->Library-->Preferences

com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist

com.apple.Safari.plist

These should be rebuilt by Safari later.

3. In Safari Menu "Reset Safari". Make sure you have your usernames and passwords in another file.

4. Delete Safari 2.0.4 to trash.

5. Use installation Disk 1 that came with your computer and use "Optional Installs" Select "Safari"

ReStart.

6. Open Safari and download the OS X 10.4.11 update. Forget the fact you already have it. Just do it.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx10411updateintel.html

7. Install the update.

ReStart.

It should work.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, Peternut. I followed all the directions (except I could not find the com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist), but the problem persists. :confused:

Reaction score
Sorry that did not work. You may be having trouble finding the file because it is shortened due to the long name like this:

com.apple.quicktime...ugin.preferences.plist

At least it does in my finder window using the "list" option.

Try a spotlight search.

Again the solution that worked is for OS X 10.4.11 not 10.5

I really don't have any other answers. You might want to try the mac forum.

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

See: "Mac OS X & Related Software" Section.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Got it!

It seems it is to do with the 'Open with Rosetta' options. If you go to the app folder click 'Get Info' you have to uncheck the 'Open with Rosetta' option then restart Safari. If it is already unchecked you need to check it, restart Safari then uncheck it and restart Safari. Most odd!

Ask a Question