Leopard Again

Reaction score
I am replying by starting a new thread [ to my post about being fed up up with Leopard ]

I have the intel mac for my home use. [ i also have a powerbook ]

All my offices use windows and PC's. My computer guys at work never upgrade any of our software - that way our systems never crash. I think we are using 10 year versions of windows. I am not a computer expert but understand that there have been problems with Microsoft software and at work we have a solution to that like I just said - the older the software the better.

From the replies to my post - it seems Mac / Apple with the leopard is now unreliable - everyone is saying they dont want to upgrade yet. I installed leopard because I TRUSTED Apple. I dont now.

This site is like a divorce site. Everyone is nice and polite. I get the feeling many people agree with me but do not want to be critical of Apple.

I have some more issues :-

I Phone. I fly aircraft a lot and like taking videos. I feed the the videos into i movie. I strip out the sound from the video [ aircraft noises and my conversations with Air Traffic Control. ] and put the sounds into i tunes. I used to have some great ringtones [ for the avoidance of doubt - these ringtones have no commercial music - they are 100% generated by me ]. Can I use these with my iphone - NO. I have used a whole bunch of mac software to create these ring tones and I cant use them on my i phone. I really dont agree with this at all.

I installed blue tooth on my mac intel. Am i correct on this one - it will only talk to devices if they are Apple devices. I have given up trying to link up with non apple devices.

I bought Apple TV recently. The user manual says to click on the TV icon in I Tunes and it will give an option to play photos from i photo onto the TV. Well there is no option and I cannot play photos on the apple tv.

I bought the 30inch mac high resolution display. every few weeks the display stops working and goes blank.

To sum up - I am used to PC's crashing and being a pain. It is accepted. I think I am having a conceptual problem in accepting that mac 's are now the same.

PS - the home page of this website has adverts for leopard. you should put a big red stamp over the advert "health warning".

Reaction score
Oh dear, it sounds like you are thoroughly fed up. Firstly, no piece of software, be it operating system or program is ever 100 per cent flawless.

I understand when you say none of the work systems have been upgraded, but if these systems are connected to the net, they are open to all sorts of security vulnerabilities, because non-upgraded software also means the OS can not have essential security upgrades either.

It is no good purchasing any OS as soon as it is released - better to wait at least 6 months - preferably 12 until most of the teething problems have been ironed out.

Same with new hardware - such as the iphone - better to wait, and do research while waiting to see what potential problems people are experiencing ;)

Regarding iphone and your ring tones, I am not sure about that one because I do not have the iphone.

Regarding Bluetooth, to be honest, I have never had an issue connecting other Bluetooth devices. Bluetooth is a technology, not a unique technology. I have a wireless headset (from a phone) connected, a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, I connect the kids phones regularily via bluetooth, so not sure why you are experiencing such an issue.

If there is no TV option in iTunes, check your version, make sure it is the correct one. Also, make sure your Apple TV IS CONNECTED and turned on at the time.

The Apple TV tab in iTunes is under the "devices list." Also, according to what I have looked at, you need to sync your photo's first - this is not an automatic process. Here is a link that may help, with other helpful links within it:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305139

Regarding the 30 inch Mac screen, report it under the warranty if under 12 months old. If it is over 12 months old and you have never reported the problem, then the reality is Apple cannot fix a problem they are unaware of.

You could try getting it fixed under the sale of goods act "not fit for the purpose it was intended.." but be prepared for a bit of red tape.

Reaction score
I think I need to go see a shrink and get some councelling - Come to terms with my grief - life before I installed Leopard [ which was great ] and life after I installed Leopard. I think I better go look at the Apple Care small print and see if it covers the professional fees of a shrink. :)

Anyway - Kyomii - thanks for your advice. I really understand your sensible comments about not purchasing any OS so quickly. I feel a real idiot ! I thought its from Apple - must be good and must work.

Reaction score
The thing is Tony, persevere with it now you have it, as you will find that in a few months time, most of the issues will have beenn fixed with system updates ;)

Did you do a zero wipe of the hard drive and a clean install or did you do an archive and install/upgrade Tiger?

Reaction score
These updates. Not my favorite subject. Actually every one told me to wait- for - yes an update patch- so I did for a month . Put in new software then the professionals tell me - hey - nice computer and screen - but dont even think about using for a few weeks. No point.

Then after 4/5 weeks or so i thought - f*** it. I was fairly good at backing things up - no harm it getting the Apple shop to start from scratch and if everything gets deleted so be it. I live in Hong Kong and the Apple shop are really great - when I got it back they had managed to sort everything out without deleting anything.

But - I bought Apple TV - and set that up after got back. I could not believe the really **** quality of the DVD movies I had on the computer on I Movie when watching through Apple TV. Anyway I was happy that the computer worked - so not to get frustrated I put Apple TV away and hid it.

This morning I was playing with I Movie - and it seems Mr. Leopard converted all the movie clips etc into Quicktime files or whatever it is called. That probably explains the hopeless quality on Apple TV.

At some stage I will go to the back up's and see if my old movies can transfer from their.

Any idea on this one ? Over the years with my old power book - I used to feed in the video footage from my video camera - and immediately burn the tape fed into imovie onto a DVD - before playing with it. back up. Is there anyway I can copy back onto Imovie from the DVD's I burned ?

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

I was searching for a fix of my PDF printing (can't print the bottom of the page) and couldn't help to read your post. I too have had issues with Leopard. I run Final Cut Pro 5.0 and nowhere was written of a compatibility problem with Leopard. This is $1,000 software sold by Apple! Oh yea, now the posts are out.

Besides FCP problems, I have sensed the machine slowing down. I run a powerPC IMAC bought just before the Intel switch. I'm concerned that the newer versions will be better tuned for the Intel chip. I feel taken on this one. The entire sales experience (technical side) from Apple before the Intel switch focused on RISC (reduced instruction chip set...something like that.) It had all to do that a 2.2 Ghz MAC was MUCH faster than a comparable PC because for each instructions, the Power PC had seven steps where Intel chip has twenty something.

So where am I going? I think everything is hype and it comes down to user experience. Those two words, 'user' and 'experience' are used conjointly and separately. The former meaning is clear. The latter means that we (you, I, Apple...) need to get experience with the system: in this case Leopard.

Regarding my problems, I actually got Apple to issue an RMA for my copy of Leopard with the intention of going back to Tiger. It's either that or buy a new version of FCP. But over the past week, I have used the MAC extensively, reading blogs and articles, working on tuning the machine and gaining experience. My conclusion: Stay on Leopard. Moving back to Tiger, while daunting, didn't scare me. The issue really comes from the go-forward support. My two year old IMAC really has performed well. It has never crashed and I have never needed the Tiger disk (I'm not sure I could find it...) the new features of Leopard (mostly Time Machine) make it somewhat worthwhile to stay put. However, the main reason is that Apple has invested in Leopard and will only make it better. I'm hoping my PowerPC can handle it.

As for the timing of the upgrade, I'm glad I moved forward. I had the time to learn the system over the holidays when during the remainder of the year, I probably wouldn't have had the time.

Oh yea - Bluetooth works fine on my box. Look to your Network settings in your System Preferences.

Chris

Reaction score
Leopard problems too. My 20"iMac was bought in May and running perfectly with Tiger OSX 10.4 and all the upgrades. Leopard .1 was installed by a young expert who had already installed it three times without problems. Immediately my User ID was lost and access denied to half the system, including iPhoto with 3000 jpgs, iTunes, Mail etc. He invented a new identity and recovered Mail but I can only access iPhoto and iTunes via the copy on a separate hard drive. Apple phone advice could not help us. Please can you?

Ask a Question