Java will not appear in my system preferences after installs

Reaction score
I've intstalled Java 7 from MAC / Oracle ... I uninstalled 6.
i've restarted safari and firefox. I've restarted the computer.
I am running 10.8.4
Install says SUCCESS. Success. But no JAVA anywhere in my computer.
JAVA never appears in my system preferences to turn it on.
What am I doing wrong?
I've done everything in every trouble shooting list.
Thanks.
I just need to run an app for a few hours. Gotta get this working.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You might try this:

BTW, when you installed Java were you immediately directed to java.com? After the verification process is completed the Java preference pane should be found in System Preferences.

Java.com 1.jpg
Java.com 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I used before both the link from Oracle to install and that link from mac that you just provided above. And after the installation says successful both ways ... yes I am directed to that page and when I click on verify it says NO JAVA (or plug in missing rather) and there is no JAVA in my system preferences. AND in security settings I have for the time being set them to open from ANYWHERE. Ugh. :(

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
And did you reboot?

Which browser are you using?

Did you download the JRE or JDK from Oracle?

You could try this method:

Launch Terminal.app & type

Code:
java -version

Press Return and if a window opens informing you you need to install a JDK (Java Development Kit) then you should press "More info" to be redirected to Oracle's website where you could try again …

About you not finding the Java Preference Pane in System Preferences, if you are running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.x then go to Applications ~> Utilities folder where you'll find the Java Preferences program.

BTW there's a Java Tester website you could use to see if your browser is using java

Last edited:
Reaction score
I rebooted many times. I am trying in both safari and firefox.I downloaded I think JRE from from Oracle and Mac. Don't know about JDK but thought it said that was only for developing and not running an app and should not be needed.I have no idea how to launch a terminal and enter that stuff. How do I launch a terminal to enter that? Should I?I've gone to the java tester web site... it says missing plug in also.
I said I am running OS 10.8.4Thanks.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You don't need JDK if you just need java to run webpages.

I just read through a few threads over at Apple Support Communities and see that java has become quite a problem for those who upgraded to Mavericks.

OSX 10.9 update removed java - how to fix that?

Apparently when you upgraded your OS the Mavericks installer did something or another to somehow disable java as it causes massive security issues.

I'm still using Lion & I can't test out any of the suggested fixes nor am I au fait with the ins & outs of java ...

Reaction score
I need to run a JAVA app called BOOK SCAN WIZARD 2. I am not running mavericks. I said I am running 10.8.4. :)Thanks.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I apologise Rob … I now acknowledge you are on Mountain Lion :)

Try this:

Go to Verify Java Version at java.com and click the "Verify Java Version" button to run the applet.

A window or possibly 2 windows should pop up asking permission to run the applet (this is a safari security feature). Click "Accept" then click 'Run'.

When the applet finishes you likely will see "Missing Plugin", double-click on that writing. You should see the following after the browser window refreshes:

Success!!.png

Check System Prefs and you should see the Java Pref Pane is there now.

Last edited:

Ask a Question