SOLVED I've been told my iMac late 2012 will be obsolete in Sept 2022!

Reaction score
I have a late 2012 IMac 21.5" screen, running the latest Catalina,and it has been upgraded with a 500gb SSD upgrade. However I have been told it will be obsolete in September 2022! Is this true and what happens then?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Your iMac is actually considered Obsolete already: Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty

About obsolete products​

Products are considered obsolete when Apple stopped distributing them for sale more than 7 years ago. Monster-branded Beats products are considered obsolete regardless of when they were purchased.

Apple discontinues all hardware service for obsolete products, with the sole exception of Mac notebooks that are eligible for an additional battery-only repair period. Service providers cannot order parts for obsolete products.

It will continue to work, and you have the latest version of Mac OS X that it supports, so it cannot be upgraded to a newer version of macOS.

So, it isn't supported for hardware repairs or macOS upgrades/updates.

C

Reaction score
old Macs don't go obsolete, they just are no longer 'supported' when newer upgrades to software and OS's come out... so what programs you are using now will still work, just won't be newer updates. and new programs that come out may or may nor run under older os's...

so rest assured, so if it works for you now, it will still be working in 10 or 15 or many more years after now. (old capacitors aside.)

I don't know where these malicious rummer come from, but suspect old windows users still have grudges...

Regards, Sandy

P.s. my old 2012 27" iMac under High Sierra was working just great till we had a major flood in my city, and while I moved it to higher ground, unfortunately all they wire and circuit breakers etc got wet and when I plugged it back it fused... if not for that I would be typing this on that beloved old computer.

Reaction score
old Macs don't go obsolete, they just are no longer 'supported' when newer upgrades to software and OS's come out... so what programs you are using now will still work, just won't be newer updates. and new programs that come out may or may nor run under older os's...

so rest assured, so if it works for you now, it will still be working in 10 or 15 or many more years after now. (old capacitors aside.)

I don't know where these malicious rummer come from, but suspect old windows users still have grudges...

Regards, Sandy

P.s. my old 2012 27" iMac under High Sierra was working just great till we had a major flood in my city, and while I moved it to higher ground, unfortunately all they wire and circuit breakers etc got wet and when I plugged it back it fused... if not for that I would be typing this on that beloved old computer.
Thanks for that! I love my Mac! I might not be here in 15-20 years time! so as long as the capacitors last-(what are they and should I buy some now in case?) I use it mainly for email and browsing, creating documents, writing recipes, etc, but I rarely download a document and don't play games etc.

Ask a Question