Is running a MacBook with the lid closed ok?

Reaction score
I couldn't find an exact answer to this one, please help.
While at my desk the MacBook would be connected to an external display, keyboard and mouse, can I close the lid or will this cause the MacBook to overheat? I have read that the PowerBook G4 had this problem but didnt know if it had been fixed with the MacBook. I know some notebooks will allow you to do this (DELL) and others will overheat and turn themselves off (TOSHIBA).

Bare in mind that the laptop would be running for hours, I really dont want to melt the screen... :eek:

Thanks,
Steve.

Reaction score
Hi there
As far as I am aware if it is anything like my Power Book G4 it goes to sleep whenever the lid is closed

Reaction score
Hi Teapot, thanks for the reply,

I have read that as long as you have an external keyboard and mouse attached then it will not sleep with the lid closed (it 'knows' you don't want it too)

I just was hoping someone here had actually tried it to confirm what I read and also tried it for a prolonged length of time.

Thanks,
Steve.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

yes, it should be fine to run with the lid closed. Just make sure that you prop up the MacBook underneath...a couple of lego blocks or similar to raise it up.

Then the air will cool it better.

I run a PowerBook G4 with the lid closed most of the time, using external monitor, keyboard and mouse !

The screen hasn't melted yet !

Just make sure you have a good inch (2.5CM) clearance under the MacBook to let air circulate.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Ooh that doesn't sound good !

Did they replace under warranty ?

If in doubt...run with the lid open and turn the brightness all the way down !

;-)

My PowerBook hasn't melted yet...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I would keep it opening personally. Boot it up with the lid down (make sure you have a external mouse, keyboard, and monitor already connected), then after it is fully booted, open the lid. That's how my current setup is. Your MacBook screen should be black, no light being emitted.

I had a PowerBook G4 that went to sleep by itself due to heat damage because I left the lid closed while running it. I have learned to keep my MacBook Pro lit open this time around! :)

Ask a Question