iPhone 15 Pro Max Battery Health Dropped To 99% In Less Than A Month

Reaction score
Concerned about issue with my new iPhone 15 Pro Max. My brother and I both bought this model when it was released in September. Initially, the phone was overheating, even while charging, and I noticed the battery drained quickly.

I charge my phone up to 85-95% and only go to 100% when I know I'll be out all day. Despite this, my battery health has dropped to 99% in less than two months. This seems insane and definitely not normal for a brand-new iPhone. Interestingly, my brother's phone, which he uses constantly, still shows 100% battery health.

I've contacted Apple, and their tests show everything is fine, but they can't explain why my battery health has dropped so quickly or why the battery drains so fast. My phone is updated to the latest iOS 17.1.

I've used iPhones since the 4s, and I've never experienced this kind of battery issue before. My old iPhone 13 Pro Max still had 83% battery health after two years, and I was able to go 1-2 days without needing to charge it.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Apple hasn't been very helpful and insists my phone is fine, despite the poor battery performance. I've tried shutting off all background app refresh, and it seems to help a bit, but the overall battery performance is still disappointing.

Any advice or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated. I'm really disappointed with Apple's response so far.

Reaction score
Hey mjolly190,

It's frustrating when a new device doesn't meet expectations, especially given your experience with previous iPhones. Here are some steps and considerations to help address your battery concerns:

Steps to Improve Battery Health and Performance​

1. Check Battery Usage:
    • Go to Settings > Battery and review the battery usage by app. This can help identify any apps that are consuming more power than expected.
  2. Enable Optimized Battery Charging:
    • This feature reduces battery aging by learning your charging routine and waiting to finish charging past 80% until you need to use it. Go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health & Charging and ensure Optimized Battery Charging is turned on.
  3. Reduce Background Activity:
    • Although you’ve already reduced background app refresh, consider further reducing background activities:
      • Disable Background App Refresh completely if not needed: Settings > General > Background App Refresh.
      • Turn off location services for apps that don’t need it: Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services.
  4. Adjust Display Settings:
    • Lower the screen brightness or use Auto-Brightness: Settings > Display & Brightness.
    • Enable Dark Mode: Settings > Display & Brightness > Dark.
    • Reduce the screen refresh rate if possible: Settings > Accessibility > Motion > Limit Frame Rate.
  5. Restart and Reset Settings:
    • Try restarting your iPhone to clear any temporary issues: Press and hold the side button and either volume button until the slider appears, then slide to power off.
    • If the issue persists, reset all settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This won’t delete your data but will reset system settings.
  6. Check for App Updates and iOS Updates:
    • Ensure all your apps are updated from the App Store.
    • Continue checking for iOS updates, as Apple frequently releases fixes for known issues: Settings > General > Software Update.

Considerations and Further Actions​

• Battery Health Variability: It's worth noting that battery health can vary slightly between devices due to manufacturing tolerances. However, a drop to 99% in a couple of months is within a typical range, albeit on the faster side.
  • Environmental Factors: Ensure your phone is not exposed to extreme temperatures, which can affect battery health.
  • Apple Support Follow-Up: Given that Apple Support insists your phone is fine, consider requesting a more detailed diagnostic or escalating the issue. Mention the significant difference in battery health compared to your brother’s phone.

If the Problem Persists​

If the battery performance continues to disappoint despite these steps, you might consider:

• Apple Store Visit: A visit to an Apple Store for an in-person diagnostic might reveal issues that remote support could miss.
  • Replacement Device: If the problem is not resolved, consider requesting a replacement device, especially if it’s under warranty.
Hopefully, some of these steps will help improve your battery performance.

Ask a Question