Indexing software - does it exist?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, so I hope I've put this question in the right place.

I'm a video editor at a university, and I'm looking for a way of indexing all the thousands of video clips I have and was wondering if there's an easy handy way of doing it?

What I need is an index that can potentially tell you in detail the contents of each folder, and that's possible to search by keyword. For example, say someone was looking for a clip of a student operating a microscope, it would be relatively easy to find. Renaming all my clips wouldn't work, because a lot of them would have more than one thing in them, and would destroy final cut's ability to link to those already in use.

Please let me know if this kinda thing even exists!!

Many thanks,

Blimpy.
:)

Reaction score
Hello,
Unless I misunderstood your post, you can achieve this with Spotlight.
Control click or right click on any file or folder, click on "Get Info" and type any specific information concerning that particular file or folder in the "Spotlight Comments" window. For example- student operating a microscope. Now when you type "student operating a microscope" in Spotlight's search field, it will lead you to that file or folder that contains that info.

Reaction score
Hi Walrus,

Thanks for the reply - I hadn't noticed the spotlight comments box before! That will be very useful to me. :):):):)

I would still like to know if here is a standalone bit of software though!

Ask a Question