InDesign CS2, the death of me?

Reaction score
I have the worst time with the whole placing text deal in InDesign CS2 v 4.0.2.633 in 10.4.4. I don't understand it one bit! It's frustrating and I truly end up spending too much time getting nothing done and want to throw my computer out the window!
It is seriously effecting my deadline at the moment, so pppplease help!

I have set up text frames in my master pages, and simply want to flow in text from a word document IN side of my current text frames - and have it auto flow the rest of the pages down.
But all I can get to occur is flowing only that text frame filled with the text (and having the red plus sign, saying there's more)
or
I can get text to auto flow creating 40+pgs, but NOT INSIDE the text frames!

Why would that happen? and WHY wont it go INTO my frames!?!?!
I can't find any info on the help or in my books (which suck)
Why doesn't it use the frames from the master pages, what's the point of
master pages then?!

I'm going nuttttts, please offer any and all help!
Any good suggestions for InD CS2 help book?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am in the process of putting you a little movie guide together...

It is a little frustrating sometimes...

The movie will take a couple of hours to re encode for the web...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...as for a good book, personally I would go down the VTC route they have a nice video Turorial on InDesign CS2. (8 Hours worth !)

If you sign up to the University Bit ($30/month) then you can watch all the videos...and then cancel after the first month, if you are finished. There are no catches, you can cancel when you want. I know, I am a member myself !

They have tutorials on everything for less than the cost of 1 book per month...

Go onto the site and have a look at the free tutorials...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...movie is taking a while to encode to mp4 ...will post it in the morning...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
you're too great! thanks muchos!
i hope i made it clear that i feel like i have tried everything, so i do know about the shift + click and option + click etc; but the da** thing never stays within the existing text frame -- made in the master page -- unless it's only the semi flow, or whatever to the end of the text frame is called! you are too wonderful, thanks!
bb

Reaction score
also, i didn't mean to be vauge, when posting, i was frustrated!

here's what's happening:
i am laying out a book, and have a text frame across 2/3 of a 3rds grid of each page. (the other third is for images, etc.)
i set up the text frames in the master pages, and linked threads to the correct frames.
I have tried option click, shift click, shift anything i can think of; basically i can't seem to get the loaded cursor with parentheses that will autoflow and add pages....
the only way i can get it to autoflow the whole doc file creates text frames across the whole page - and i truly do not wish to fix each text frame per page. (isn't that the point of master pages)
i have done all of this with unlocking the 'master text frames' which is on page 1 and tried to get the text into that frame -- which is what i want. and tried it with the 'master text frame' that is on page 1 still locked (and not highlightable) still no go, pastes the whole document and adds pages autoflowing to text frames the size of the page.
or if i must autoflow not into a prelaid out frame, thenhow do i universally correct the text frames on all 60 pages without doing them individually?
make sense?

Reaction score
Wow!
I swear I'd done that before, but apparently I was missing a step or more - -- works beautifully, thanks sooooo much! I'm sure that was toooons of work but you just saved me from a week and a half of thinking I was looozing my mind and getting too behind on my deadline!
I can't thank you enough! Again and again and again!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

glad it worked ! Sometimes you can end up in a loop ;-) When you think you've already tried something...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question