imac will not read the install dvd

how do i get my imac to read the install dvd ?

• all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
It would be good if you told us what OS you are using. Also, do you happen to have Toast, a commercial product that can read DVDs?

Reaction score
it is OS X Snow Leopard , version 10.6.8 , no on the toast .
i tried what the book read but , no luck ?

Reaction score
With Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.8), a program called DVD player is included. When you insert a CD or DVD into the drive, does it show up at all on the desktop? Also, after putting in the media, when you launch the DVD player program, does it recognize what is in the drive?

By the way, after inserting the DVD into the drive, how do you get it out?

The other thing to try is in the upper left hand corner, there is a black apple. When you click on that,a sub-menu appears, and the first entry says "About This Mac...". Click on that, and on the next screen you should see a "selection" called "System Report". Click on that, and on the next screen, within the left hand column, you should see an entry called something like either DVD drive or Disc Burning (I use OS 10.10.2, and it says Disc Burning. Can't remember what it says with OS 10.6.8). Click on that, and something should appear that has information about the DVD (Super) drive. If there is nothing, then the drive might be defective in some way.

Reaction score
I actually have an older 17" MacBook Pro that has OS 10.6.8 on it, and even though the battery is shot, it still can be started from plugging it in. When I did that, and followed the stuff I mentioned above about going to "About This Mac ...", I saw that the option for the DVD drive is stated as "Disc Burning". So, the verbiage is the same as Yosemite )OS 10.6.8). When I selected that on the machine, it did recognize the DVD drive.

Ask a Question