iMac has started locking up

Reaction score
Thanks for your practical advice. Unfortunately, the same things are happening, as if the system loses its integrity and is at odds with itself.

For example, Mouse Locator puts concentric rings round the mouse pointer. The ‘target’ moves with the mouse pointer. But when things start to unravel, it gets left behind when the arrow moves.

The system also increasingly disconnects itself from the Wi-Fi network, at first for only a few seconds, then for minutes, or sometimes permanently. For the iMac the internet is accessed through a wireless channel passing through the electricity supply. When access is lost, the plug connecting the channel to the computer is flashing furiously, but the iMac takes no notice.

When I click on an item in the menu bar, there may be a delay of several seconds until it drops down. Then a click produces no response, or I get the spinning disk.

After a restart (which may be difficult as either I can’t get to ‘restart’ in the Apple drop-down menu, or clicking ‘restart’ does nothing, or the process gets stuck and I can’t get ‘Force Quit’ to show, and if it does, it won’t do anything to the ‘not responding’ items) I might get a day or two of normal working until the disintegration starts. The Norton “Protect Your Files” ad still appears after restart.

So I may have to replace the iMac, and my original query stands: “I’ve read that the latest generation of iMacs aren’t as good as the previous lot. So I’d appreciate anyone telling me what the situation is before I make a decision.”

Ask a Question