Ichat error-8 when video chat with nonmac

Reaction score
I get the error -8 only when I try to video ichat with a non mac, it has worked once for me but I was on a different wireless network, I use an airport base station at home, but at work we use a linsky and the video works there, maybe its my firewall in my airport base station? I also downloaded the newest software updates. I need a little help, I don't really know what to do to get it to work.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

can you iChat with other people ?

Is the problem just with this one person ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Yeh it doesn't work with just one person, I can video ichat with mac's but not a pc, my freind has a brand new mac( less than two weeks old) and they can video chat with the pc that I can't. do you have any ideas?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

sounds like you need to do some port forwarding on your Router(when iChat is trying to connect, your router is not sending some of the data to your Mac to initiate the call), have a read of this. Let me know if it's not clear.

Out of curiosity what make/model router does your Mac friend have and what do you have ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I have a macbook core 2 duo with airport epress base station, and she has a brand new Imac and I think she has a ethernet conction, really not sure.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

sorry, I meant what does the person on the PC have...the cahnces are it's their Router that may need configuring...

Also how does your Base station connect to the Internet...what is it plugged in to ?

regards

Ric

Ask a Question