I-pod Problems

Reaction score
Please can anyone help!

We have an i-pod at work which we use for recording meetings with a microphone attachment. The I-pod software is stored on my horrible old pc which doesn't have a USB 2 port.
I'm afraid that I don't know if it was working yesterday when I plugged it in, but the upshot now is that it has died. I have tried resetting it so that I don't loose any of the voice memos saved but that has had no effect.
For a while it continued to show the 'Do not disconnect message' (this was after my boss had yanked it out of the pc as it was making funny noises) then I managed to get the apple symbol up, but now it flits between the apple symbol and the 'folder with an exclamation mark in a triangle'; it is also still making whirring clicking noises! I tried phoning Apple who weren't all that helpful apart from suggesting that somehow the drive had been erased and I have also tried all the suggestions on the helpsite.

Any ideas please?! It is only 2 months old so is still under warranty!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi fairym,

just a quick question do you 'need' the data that's on the iPod, or is it not important.

regards

Ric

edit:

should have asked what type of iPod is it ?

have you done a reset ?

Reaction score
Ideally we would like to keep the data if possible. The company we bought it from have offered to come and collect it but I think they will happily erase the lot! If there is no choice then we'll have to loose it, but there are student presentations saved on it and we ideally need to send them to the moderator!

Reaction score
Its a 20GB click wheel. I have tried to reset by holding down the two buttons; the screen does clear and then the apple symbol reappears but it won't do anything after that!

Ric

Reaction score
Yes they will definatley 'erase', it's the quickest option...

Daft question but is the data backed up?

The iPod is basically just a fancy hard drive - so as long as the 'Hard drive' itself isn't dead - then you should be able to recover the data off the iPod.

What happens when you plug the iPod into the PC ?

Do you have any drive recovery software ?

Reaction score
No, as is always the case when something goes wrong, it isn't backed up; how I wish it was!

Unfortunately my technical prowess is not great, I wouldn't know where to start with retrieving the data.

I've tried plugging it back into the computer and at first it doesn't recognise that its there and then it tries to open it and then accuses you of plugging it even though you haven't. This goes on for a while with it trying and then losing it!

I have a feeling I'm going to have to let them sort it out for me. I suppose the I-pod itself could be faulty as it is only2 months old.

Ric

Reaction score
If the hard drive is not dead then you could use software such as PC Inspector, or Nortons depends on what machine you are going to try it on, Mac or PC.

If you are not sure what you are doing then let some one else do it - if the data is important and you get it wrong then you can do more damage than good !

You should hopefully be able to retreive the data off the iPod.

Regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
fairym said:
No, as is always the case when something goes wrong, it isn't backed up; how I wish it was!
Don't worry, we've all been there. Remember to 'chant' I must backup..

fairym said:
I've tried plugging it back into the computer and at first it doesn't recognise that its there and then it tries to open it and then accuses you of plugging it even though you haven't. This goes on for a while with it trying and then losing it!
Try and turn off the auto mount in iTunes, and see if it mounts anyway

fairym said:
I have a feeling I'm going to have to let them sort it out for me. I suppose the I-pod itself could be faulty as it is only2 months old.
Maybe they will recover the data for you ?

If they are any good (and want your business again !) they might try for you...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Many thanks for all the info. You've given me hope that all might not be literally lost!

Ric

Reaction score
Good luck, it's just one of those things. Without it being physically in front of me it's hard to give an accurate diagnosis...but hopefully you'll get the data back.

Let us know how you get on,

regards

Ric

Ask a Question