iTunes podcast problems

Reaction score
iTunes thinks I am not subscribed to podcasts that it downloads for me anyway.

I've gone to the Genius bar twice and called Apple Support once to resolve this problem. The last visit to the Genius Bar took almost two hours. One Genius worked with Terminal and file checking and read and write privelege. The other worked with settings in iTunes. Everything on my Mac is current (although this problem is old).

Here's Details:
When I look at "My Podcasts" in List mode, they all show as not subscribed, and list the last podcast received (often "Today"). If I right click on the podcast, and look at settings, the "Subscribed" button is locked to off. If I go to the store and select the podcast and tell it to subscribe, the button stays saying "subscribe".

Every morning I open this view. Every week or two, one podcast has a "!" next to it - iTunes thinks I haven't played a podcast in a while (but shows that I played one I downloaded yesterday). Sometimes a podcast that I know I should have received doesn't show up, but refreshing it will get it to download.

I have one podcast that I can't delete by right clicking it. That option isn't in the menu.

The other thing I do every morning is manually tell iTunes to update every app that it thinks needs updating. This is despite checking everything in preferences that should keep things current.

We noticed today something today that is odd.
In my /Users/HBrazee/Music/iTunes/Podcasts folder are three podcasts that I haven't subscribed to in over a year.
But there are a bunch of podcasts (including current ones) in
/Users/HBrazee/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Podcasts/
It's almost like every podcast I listened to got loaded as music.

After I do this, I switch iTunes to "Music", and go to a smart playlist that only has Plays is 0, with live updating.

When I have "Podcasts" in the drop down menu at the top, this playlist shows up twice, but when I go to music it only shows up once.

Then I play what's in this podcast. If I have just bought a music album, it will play all of the unplayed songs. But it won't play any podcasts unless I click on a podcast to tell it to play (then I manually tell it to play the next podcast).

I never listen to podcasts on my phone nor pad. My wife sometimes listens to my podcasts via family sharing on her Mac.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I have had the same issue before...let me do a little testing/research and I will get back to you.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, here are a few things to check:

1. iTunes > Preferences... > Store > Sync podcast subscriptions and settings - you could try unchecking this, quitting iTunes, and relaunching it
2. If you do a Get Info for any of your podcasts, do they still show as Podcast under Options > media kind?
3. In iTunes > Podcasts, from the menu bar View > View As - is it List or Classic List?
4. If Classic List, in the lower right, what is Show: set to?
5. In same view, check the settings in Settings... to see what the Podcast Defaults Refresh is set to.

Will keep at it,

C

Reaction score
1. iTunes > Preferences... > Store > Sync podcast subscriptions and settings - you could try unchecking this, quitting iTunes, and relaunching it

I did this. No change, I checked that and restarted it again:

Now I have three podcasts that no longer say "Not subscribed". I have six podcasts that still say "Not subscribed". And the podcast that I couldn't delete now gives me the option of deleting it.

2. If you do a Get Info for any of your podcasts, do they still show as Podcast under Options > media kind?

I just clicked on a podcast that no longer says "not subscribed". I saw a message saying "This podcast has been deleted from another device, but has saved episodes". (I don't listen to podcasts from other devices (Although my wife occassionally will listen to one of my podcasts using family sharing). I clicked on the Resolve button, and then Restore Sync.

For the top podcast for that subscription, I see that genre is Podcast, as well as media Kind.

So I switched to a "not subscribed" podcast (which was last listened to Friday). It also showed both attributes as podcast.

3. In iTunes > Podcasts, from the menu bar View > View As - is it List or Classic List?
I prefer "list".

Let me switch and check. "Feed".

5. In same view, check the settings in Settings... to see what the Podcast Defaults Refresh is set to.

Every hour. (Switched back to List view).

Will keep at it,

This has accomplished something, which multiple geniuses and apple phone support didn't. Thanks. Next time I see new podcasts in the "not subscribed" podcasts, I will first check to see if they are still unsubscribed, and if so, I will repeat your steps, and let you know what I see.

(The two locations of podcast files haven't changed)

Reaction score

I did this. No change, I checked that and restarted it again:

Now I have three podcasts that no longer say "Not subscribed". I have six podcasts that still say "Not subscribed". And the podcast that I couldn't delete now gives me the option of deleting it.

I just clicked on a podcast that no longer says "not subscribed". I saw a message saying "This podcast has been deleted from another device, but has saved episodes". (I don't listen to podcasts from other devices (Although my wife occassionally will listen to one of my podcasts using family sharing). I clicked on the Resolve button, and then Restore Sync.

For the top podcast for that subscription, I see that genre is Podcast, as well as media Kind.

So I switched to a "not subscribed" podcast (which was last listened to Friday). It also showed both attributes as podcast.

I prefer "list".

Let me switch and check. "Feed".

Every hour. (Switched back to List view).

Will keep at it,

This has accomplished something, which multiple geniuses and apple phone support didn't. Thanks. Next time I see new podcasts in the "not subscribed" podcasts, I will first check to see if they are still unsubscribed, and if so, I will repeat your steps, and let you know what I see.

(The two locations of podcast files haven't changed)

Reaction score
I still have six podcasts that say "not subscribed", and the three from above that show as "not subscribed". I have podcasts from both groups that have come today and yesterday.

Reaction score
No change as of today. I did delete and re-subscribe to one of the "Not subscribed" podcasts. It still thinks it is unsubscribed, and I still can't switch the button in Podcast Settings to Subscribed.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It really does seem like there is a bug in iTunes causing this issue. I haven't found any addition information or workarounds yet. Many folks are experiencing the same issue.

C

Ask a Question