HP Utility not found

Reaction score
Just updated my Mac Mini to 10.14.4 and now I no longer have a wireless connection to my HP Officejet Pro 8600. In trying to set it up again, the HP Utility shows in my Applications but when I click to open it, it reports that it the original file cannot be found. Suggestions?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Are your Mac and HP printer on the same Wi-Fi network?
-Which version of OS x/macOS did you upgrade from?
-Because that printer is around 7 years old, you may have some issues with newer versions of macOS. You could try downloading and installing the latest drive from the HP website: HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a

Sometimes they remove some applications/functions in later versions of the driver and replace them with newer items.

C

Reaction score
I've been regularly updating, so I upgraded from 10.14.3 (?) Yes, on the same network ... worked fine for years ... until now. Thanks! I'll check out the drivers.

Reaction score
HP shows no drivers available for the 8600 and 10.14.4. I tried their troubleshooting, reset printers ... now my hardwired b/w laser doesn't show up either. :-(

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Resetting the printing system does delete all the printers. If there isn't a current driver installed, even though it was working previously, it can be difficult to get it reinstalled.

I did a quick search and came up with this: HP Easy Start - HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a. Direct download here: HP_Easy_Start.app.zip - 2.9.0.180. It shows as compatible with 10.14 and should work. However, I do know that HP has removed the HP Utility for many older printers, and most now have either a web page utility section or different utility application.

See if installing that allows you to get the printer setup again and working.

Let us know,

C

Reaction score
Color me confused. I downloaded and opened the Easy Start. It can't find the 8600 printer... even when I enter the IP address 10.0.1.4 ... still can't find it. On the HP printer screen it shows that it is connected to my Wi-Fi network. (not relevant, but fwiw, now each change of a page on FaceBook takes about 10 seconds where it used to be 1 second or less - the rest of the Internet seems fine)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...

-The HP isn't connected via USB or Ethernet, correct?
-Could it have gone to sleep and another device on your network took its 10.0.1.4 IP address?
-Maybe try setting it up with a USB cable to get it working, then change it over to Wi-Fi?

C

Reaction score
Correct, not connected via USB or Ethernet. I dunno, can't imagine how another device would take its address. The HP display screen reports it is connected at 10.0.1.4. The printer is in another room ... gonna be a hassle to set it up USB, but I can try. Meantime, my HP LaserJet 1022 nw was working with OS 10.14.4 but now is not... it is connected by Ethernet. Suggestions? Or should I start a new thread?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If your network is using DHCP, IP addresses are automatically assigned to devices as they join the network. They are dynamic and not static, so if a device has an IP address and leaves the network by going out of range, sleeping, etc., then another device can be assigned that IP address after the "lease" time has been reached. It doesn't happen very often, but it can.

As for the LaserJet 1022nw, it was also removed when you reset the printing system. You should be able to re-add it. This is the latest set of HP drivers from Apple - HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for OS X. How is it not working?

C

Reaction score
My rarely used laptop runs both printers on the Wi-Fi just fine. It's on OS 10.10.5

Reaction score
OK, downloaded the drivers, thanks! ... My desktop Mac Mini still can't see either printer, but my laptop can print to both.

Reaction score
I'd still like to print from my desktop. Is my operating system corrupted? Why can't it see my printers?

Reaction score
Thanks, no I have not tried the USB yet ... since I tried the Ethernet cable, and the laptop can print, I thought that sufficiently isolated it. Shall I still try the USB? I guess it wouldn't hurt. I'll go buy a cable.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, it should be easier to get it setup with USB. Once that is done, you can use the new utility to setup the Wi-Fi access.

C

Reaction score
OK, confused again ... I'm easily confused. 8600 now works with USB connection ... doesn't seem to require any further setup. Opening the Easy Start Utility, it says if you want to set it up wireless to remove USB, etc. cables. I disconnect the USB and it's back to not recognizing the printer ... doesn't even see it to connect to. Am I just stuck with using it via USB? ... at least that works.

Ask a Question