How to convert Appleworks6 files to Word4Mac or Pages

Reaction score
Can anyone pls advise on how I can convert my Appleworks 6 files on my 5-year old MacBook to Word for Mac of Pages on my iMac (newest version, using Yosemite)? Thanks!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I have old .cwk files too & if I Right-Click them & choose "Open With" I see Pages listed there (don't choose Keynote) …. Pages will open it then I just save it as a .pages file …. does this work for you?

As for opening the .pages file using Word4Mac I have read in the past that if you change the .pages extension to .zip then select 'Use Zip' in the dialogue window as you press Return, then you can open this .zip file & there will be a folder on your desktop. Inside this folder you'll find a folder named QuickLook. Inside there will be a .pdf file which Word4Mac will be able to open … I can't test this myself not having Word on my Mac but I think it's worthwhile knowing this trick … there may be a more up-to-date method I'm unaware of too ...

Reaction score
Thanks for that tip, Spawn. Tried it, but no can do. I really miss the old Appleworks, which was so much easier to use than either Pages or Word (how Apple agreed to let THAT Trojan Horse in to contaminate MacLand, I'll never know).

What I'm doing now is a time-consuming 2-step conversion – dragging the Appleworks file into the TextEdit icon, which gives you just a basic conversion (along with tons of chaff), which I then copy and paste into Pages. Again, many thanks.

TW

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score

Ask a Question