How to access iMac G5 HDD files on an iMac G3?

Reaction score
I had an iMac G5. The G5 ran on OS X. The monitor conked out, so I removed the HDD. The HDD has numerous Excel files on it (version Excel 2004). I have an iMac G3. The G3 uses OS 9.1. The label on the bottom of the G3 gives the following specifications: "450 MHz / 512 K L2 / 64 MB / IMAC 20 GB / DVD / 56K / C8G." I would like to view the G5 HDD's Excel files on the iMac G3 monitor. So I got a Sabrent external HDD enclosure. I put the G5 HDD in the HDD enclosure, then hooked up the enclosure to the iMac G3. I was unable to open the G5 HDD's Excel files. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might approach the problem? My objective is to view the G5 HDD's files on the G3 monitor. Thanks for any assistance.

Reaction score
I was unable to open the G5 HDD's Excel files.
I am not familiar with the hardware you are using, but hopefully this will help.

This problem could be due to permissions / User ID.

If this is the case you can set the drive to ignore permissions for that drive.
Right click on drive
Click 'Get Info"
Click on the padlock, enter password when prompted.
Click checkbox "ignore ownership on this volume"
click padlock to lock.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Let's get this one out of the way first, are you able to see/open any files that reside on the G5 hard drive?
Thanks for responding. Yes, I am able to open other files that reside on the G5 hard drive - - for example, .jpg and .mp3 files. However, I am unable to open any of the G5 HDD's files that were created in Office 2004 for Mac - - for example, .xls and .doc files. When I try to open an .xls file, I see the following message: "To use Microsoft Excel, your computer must be running Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later." This puzzles me. My reasoning runs as follows: I'm using the G5 HDD as my external drive, therefore the G5 HDD (rather than the G3 HDD) is the computer that I'm using; and Mac OS X is on the G5 HDD, therefore (contrary to the message I see onscreen) my computer is "running Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later," hence, I should be able to open the .xls file.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
As I understand it, you are using the architecture of the older G3 to view the files on the G5 hd, so while you can successfully view jpg & listen to mp3's, when it comes to the Microsoft Excel files you apparently must be running an earlier OS version than 10.2.8 hence the message.

Those files were created after the G3 was superseded this is why they won't open.

Do you have Microsoft Excel on the G3 & what Mac OS version is on your G3?

Reaction score
Yes, that's correct. As I noted in the original post, the G3 uses OS 9.1. I do not have Excel on the G3. I was under the impression that the operating system was on the HDD; and that since I'm using the G5 HDD (rather than the G3 HDD) as an external hard disc, I was thereby using the G5 HDD's operating system (OS X) rather than the G3 HDD's operating system (OS 9.1).

Reaction score
Are you booting into the G5 HDD at startup?

That is what Bert would need to be doing in order to correctly access those files he can't "see" via the G3.

Bert,

You would need to boot the G5 HDD that is inside that external enclosure. If the G3 had OS X 10.2.8 (or later) on it, with the external enclosure connected, you could boot up the G3 while holding down the Option key, and you would then see a display of bootable drives. In your case, that would be the internal drive on the G3, and the G5 HDD inside the external enclosure. You could then select that G5 HDD, and your "system" would restart from it.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that with OS 9.1 on your G3.

Reaction score
Exactly!

So, one wonders with OS 9.1, can Bert use the C key, or the Option key? While that link is informative, it does not specifically mention anything about any version/"flavor" of the Mac OS.
I tried booting into the G5 HDD at startup. I tried two different approaches. Neither approach worked.

For the first approach, here's what happened: (1) I booted up the G3 while holding down the option key, (2) I saw a display of bootable drives, i.e., the G3 HDD and the G5 HDD, (3) I selected the G5 HDD, (4) the Mac logo appeared on the screen, and underneath it a little swirling wheel. The logo stayed onscreen and the wheel kept swirling. After ten minutes, the logo was still onscreen and the little wheel was still swirling. I turned off the G3. I repeated the approach, with the same results.

For the second approach, here's what happened: (1) I booted up the G3 while holding down the T key, (2) the Firewire icon appeared onscreen. According to the article <http://osxdaily.com/2010/04/07/how-to-boot-a-mac-in-target-disk-mode/>, this appearance of the Firewire icon onscreen "signifies that target disk mode is detected and working." The article goes on to assert that "in a few moments, the Mac will boot as usual and the target Mac’s hard drive should appear on the host Mac’s desktop, allowing you to access it like any other external drive." This did not happen. After five minutes, the Firewire icon was still onscreen. I turned off the G3. I repeated the approach, with the same results.

Reaction score
Maybe it is not possible to boot an external drive that has a version of Mac OS X from a Mac that has OS 9.x? Or, is that OS on the external drive "damaged" in some way?

To see if the OS on the external drive is OK, do you have a friend that has a Mac with an OS X whatever version on it? If so, try that startup procedure again.

Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Yes, I tried to do that. First, I tried rebooting while holding down the Option key, but that didn't work. Then, I tried Target Disk Mode, but that didn't work either.

You'll likely need to upgrade the G3's firmware before you move the OS up into Mac OS X territory. The architecture of OS 9 is just not going to allow you to do what you want.

We can help you do this & get your Mac running an OS that can access those Excel files.

Your iMac's specs:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_dv_plus_450.html

About the firmware update & moving to Mac OS X

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/626056?start=0&tstart=0

https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT2377

Last edited:

Ask a Question