How do I upgrade from mac OS 9.1, to mac OS 10.1?

Reaction score
I just got an older imac g3 and it came with OS 9 already on it. I have the discs for OS 9.2.1 and OS 10.1. On the instructions for OS 9.2.1 it says to download OS 10 first, before downloading 9.2.1. And that the classic applications won't work on OS 10 without 9.2.1. So I downloaded OS 10, but now when I try to download 9.2.1 it says that there is no application to run the program (the install thing). What do I do??!! ppplllllleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaassssseeeee help me

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Where did you get the disks from? To upgrade from OS9 to Mac OS X, you need to first update to 9.2.2 - apply the relevant Firmware Update, then proceed with the Mac OS X upgrade providing your Mac meets the System Requirements of the Version of Mac OS X you have.

Do you want to keep Classic or just jump to Mac OS 10.1?

You need to ensure you have the correct discs .... this is very important as you will get nowhere with model specific discs/a newer set of discs that originally came with a Mac newer than yours just won't work .... in that case you need the Full Retail version before it'll work.

Reaction score
I just bought it used and it came with a "OS 9.2.1 update CD" and it says, "your copy of Mac OS X v10.1 includes the Mac OS 9.2.1 Update CD". And I just want OS 10 to work like a normal computer.

Ask a Question