How do I turn the default inline attachment back on, in mac mail, after switching to icon attachments

Reaction score
I switched my mac mail attachments preferences to "icon" when attaching instead of the default attachment option of images or documents being inline, in the body of the email, because some people don't like that and are not able to save or download inline attachments, but sometimes I want an image to be in the body, inline, in an email. So how do I switch it back to the default potion to have the attachment inline in the email, and how can I go back and forth so that sometimes it is an icon attachment and sometimes it is inline? I am really surprised that Apple has not made this option easy by right clicking and give that option to toggle back and forth from inline to icon.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Where did you change that setting?

You could try inserting images/attachments inline using the paper clip attachment icon, and make sure you click the Options button and Send Windows-Friendly Attachments. That should display the images inline on Macs, but as attachments on Windows and other other devices.
Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 10.32.50.png

C

Reaction score
Once I made the change to send images as Icon, which I think I did when I right clicked it, I never got the option to switch it back afterwards. But I kept searching online and I finally found this solution and it worked:

Solution (works, but works too well)

There is a FREE solution, and it’s simple if you’re familiar with using the Terminal app. Fire-up the terminal and enter the following:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes

Just know that this turns off inline images entirely, including any images you may have in your email signature. To revert back to the default inline mode, simply replace the “yes” at the end with the word “false” (without quotes).

I’m not a fan of images in email signatures, so I’ve decided to just turn off images completely using the Terminal code method.

Reaction score
So, From what I have found online, this is the only way to go back and forth with the two options:

In the terminal type:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes (this makes it an icon attachment)

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool no (this makes it an inline attachment)

Ask a Question