Powerbook returned to default settings

Reaction score
Hello -

My friend has a macbook pro and OSX. I am not sure what version exactly. She said someone was using her computer and when she got it back a window popped up that said "blah blah you must restart now" in many different languages. She claims it only said "you must restart now" but I'm sure it had some vital piece of information that would help find the cause of this problem that she just didnt remember.

Anyways, now when she logs onto her computer under her username(the only user account on the computer) her desktop wallpaper was reset and docking bar are at the default settings "like they were when [she] got the computer". Furthermore, none of her programs will open and her apple drop down menu will not drop down when she clicks on it to try and open it.

All of her files still exist in her /Users/[account short name] directory like her preference files, pictures, other data, etc. I found this apple help topic: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1876 on the issue. However, there is no other account in the /Users folder. The current home directory is the one with all her data in it. We even tried renaming her home directory, restarting, and then changing it back and restarting again but this did not fix the problem.

It sounds a lot like her home directory got changed or moved but the current home directory in the /Users folder is the one with all her data. Could it be the data is corrupted and thats why no programs will open? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, -Wklose

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the site
If you have not already, try repairing permissions found at /applications/utilities/disk utility select the volume to repair and repair. This does take some time

Ask a Question