How do I print in a wireless network?

Reaction score
My HP Deskjet 3650 printer is connected to my iMac (OS X).
Through a so called Access Point I have a wireless connection with a ASUS notebook (using Windows XP) in an other room.
Is there a possibility to print from my notebook, using the printer of my iMac?
And if there is, which measures do I have to take.
Looking at internet I understood that this can work, but there was no single site on which there was an proper - and working - explanation how to fix it.
So that's why I cry on this page for help!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

to try and help further, we need to know the make and model of your Access Point...the bit that is sending out the wireless signal.

I presume that the iMac is also connecting wirelessly to the same Access Point ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
The Access Point is from Linksys, Wireless G.
The Access Point is connected with the standard cable with a special modem from KPN - Speedtouch 546 ISDN.
From that modem there is an ethernet cable to the iMac.
I hope this information is sufficient!

Reaction score
The Access Point is connected with the standard cable with a special modem from KPN - Speedtouch 546 ISDN.

Reaction score

If connecting the printer to the Mac doesn't work, I can help if the printer is connected to the WinXP box. ;)
I just did that with a Westell Versalink 327W (modem/wireless router) connected to the windows machine by ethernet cable and an Epson printer connected to the windows machine. I am using airport on my macbook pro to access our "local" wireless network and thus, the printer and a shared file on the PC (to migrate my stuff off the PC). I am printing through the PC with the Epson.

Reaction score
If you can connect to your Imac from your note computer it is possible to share your printer from your iMac and print that way. It would be in the printer panel in system preferences under sharing ...

I believe that would work if please let me know

Reaction score
If you can connect to your Imac from your note computer it is possible to share your printer from your iMac and print that way. It would be in the printer panel in system preferences under sharing ...

I don't understand - in a technical way - the first sentence of your message.
I have tried doing the sharing things on both computers (the iMac as well as the notebook, but untill now: nothing works!

Reaction score

Thank you for this advice. I still want to work at my bureau desk with my Imac connected to the printer and at my eating table in the living room with my notebook.

Reaction score
I am sorry I very unhelpful on that first post. In my head I can see what I am trying to say but lets try this again... :eek:

Frist you need to make sure windows file sharing is on if you have a windows computer it is in the system pref under internet & networking. and make sure windows file sharing is on.

After that is good and done then go back to the main menu of the system pref and then go into the printer & fax.

under the sharing tab
click share these printers with other computers and in theory that should allow you to share your printer.

Hope that helps and is clear to you.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 289
  • Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 288
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 308
Reaction score
Hi evandenbroek,

Firstly turn on "Printer sharing" and "Windows sharing" in the Sharing preferences panel on Mac OSX, and printer and file sharing in Windows.

You then need to add a new network printer on the Mac machine (as windows already has the driver on it) and search for the drivers (you may need to download mac compatible drivers for your printer if they are not on the disc>)

You also need to add new network printer to windows machine so that the windows machine knows it has to share the default printer.

Additionally, both mahine ip addresses must be allowed through any firewalls on both machines by putting them in the safe/accepted zone.

Reaction score
Hi evandenbroek,

Firstly turn on "Printer sharing" and "Windows sharing" in the Sharing preferences panel on Mac OSX, and printer and file sharing in Windows.

You then need to add a new network printer on the Mac machine (as windows already has the driver on it) and search for the drivers (you may need to download mac compatible drivers for your printer if they are not on the disc>)

You also need to add new network printer to windows machine so that the windows machine knows it has to share the default printer.

Additionally, both mahine ip addresses must be allowed through any firewalls on both machines by putting them in the safe/accepted zone.

Two things:
1. I work about two months with a HP Deskjet 3650 printer connected to the iMac (OS X).
2. I'am not familiar with the most of the "technical" thing of computers, so is there a possibility of letting me see the regarding screens of putting the ip adresses (for example: where do I find them) in the safe/accepted zone.

Further: I think doing so it is the best thing putting off the firewalls of both machines.
I hope you understand all these, because I am a Dutch guy and talking about the birds and the bees goes well, but technical affairs, that's something else.

Thank you for handing me another punt in the right direction,

Reaction score
Till so for I tried all the suggestions.
None of them did work.

On the screen of my notebook I see that my printer got the "order" to print some file, but it stays and stays and there is no changing in the print-menu and I don't the print of that particular file at my printer.

Is there anybody who tells me what I am doing wrong?

Ask a Question