Help with Proxy

Reaction score
I am looking to connect my MBP through network proxy(both ethernet or wifi). It is connecting perfectly via proxy . Safari,chrome are working well. However App store is not accessible.I tried logging out and then logging in and it says connection failed.However as soon as i connect my 3G dongle i can get into app store.I tried my office network which works without proxy and it works like a charm.Can anybody help? If you need more info or screenshots just let me know.Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Thank you for asking. This proxy is set up by the network administrator in the academic campus that i visit mostly. So hundreds of machines of people residing in the campus connect through this proxy server(in wifi or ethernet).Infact my other windows lappy connects without an issue. I think you can call it a "Forward proxy".Please let me know if you have more questions
hWrRyh5OeKYAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Reaction score
One more thing the issue here is appstore is not connecting via the proxy while Chrome and safari have no issues connecting to the internet. Do you think it is some port blocking?

Reaction score
Yes, I do. Normally they are designed to only allow port 80, thats http for web, they often also incorporate web filtering. They will stop most of the other services, FaceTime, Software Update, for instance.

To use any of these other services they need to open the port to let that traffic through. Given that they set them up to stop that sort of traffic it's often very difficult to get the admins to open the ports.

There is nothing you can do as a client, the Proxy Admin has to make any changes.

Reaction score
Thanks Kaveman . Do you know what port appstore connects through so that i can try my luck by convincing the proxy admin.Is it 443?

Ask a Question