Help With Erase & Install osX

Reaction score
Hey All. I recently installed 10.5 Leopard on my Powermac g4 . I just found out that some of the applications I was using are not yet compatable with 10.5 , so I want to do an erase and install back to 10.2 . I have all the original system restore disks but can't get them to work . Any sugestions ???

Reaction score
Hey All. I recently installed 10.5 Leopard on my Powermac g4 . I just found out that some of the applications I was using are not yet compatable with 10.5 , so I want to do an erase and install back to 10.2 . I have all the original system restore disks but can't get them to work . Any sugestions ???

When you booted up with the Jaguar installation disc, did you click the "Options" button and select "Erase And Install"? Assuming that it has this option. I only go back to Panther. :D

Reaction score
When I use the system restore disk nothing happens. I tried holding down c , and even trying to restart using the disk in system prefs. startup disk option and it just keeps finding 10.5 and starts up .

Reaction score
When I use the system restore disk nothing happens. I tried holding down c , and even trying to restart using the disk in system prefs. startup disk option and it just keeps finding 10.5 and starts up .

When you restarted your Mac with the installation disc in the drive and holding down the "C" key. Did you keep the "C" key down until you saw the spinning gear on the screen?

Reaction score
Another thing you could try is to insert the installation disc into the drive and when the disc's icon appears on the desktop, double click it to open it if it's not open already. Double click on the MacOSX installer and a window should pop up telling you that you have to click on the restart button in order to install. Click on the restart button. If a window appears asking for your password, enter your password and click on (If I remember correctly) the ok button. When your Mac is in the process of restarting, it's not necessary to hit any keys on the keyboard. It should boot up with the installation disc automatically. Give it a few minutes and hopefully, you'll be in business.

Reaction score
Hey man thanks for all your help .. Here's what I got - original powermac G4 osX install , os9 install and 5 restore disks ... which ones should I be using?? . and is there a way to erase my hard disk usung disc utility . It seems to be grayed out when I tried..

Reaction score
Hey man thanks for all your help .. Here's what I got - original powermac G4 osX install , os9 install and 5 restore disks ... which ones should I be using?? . and is there a way to erase my hard disk usung disc utility . It seems to be grayed out when I tried..

You would use the disc that has the operating system that you want on your Mac. In your case it would be 10.2. When you boot up from your installation disc, you'll have the option of doing an "Erase And Install". This will erase everything on your hard drive and replace it with the new OS.
Just out of curiosity, have you considered getting replacement apps for the ones that won't work on Leopard? It's a shame to have to regress. Those old operating systems are becoming obsolete very quickly!

Reaction score
I tried all the disks I have and nothing is going on. I think I am going to have to get either apple share or actually buy a 10.4 install setup. The application I am using is Pro Tools recording software and it don't look like its going to be available for 10.5 for a while but it does work with 10.4 . Thank you for all your help though!!

Reaction score
I tried all the disks I have and nothing is going on. I think I am going to have to get either apple share or actually buy a 10.4 install setup. The application I am using is Pro Tools recording software and it don't look like its going to be available for 10.5 for a while but it does work with 10.4 . Thank you for all your help though!!

Nothing? You might want to slap a CD or DVD into the drive to make sure that your drive is reading discs. There have been a few complaints from people who installed Leopard stating that they lost the use of their drives in the process.

Reaction score
Yeah the drive does work , For some reason when I try the osx install disk from the desktop , I keep getting application quit message & when I try to boot right from the disk in system prefs. , 10.5 kicks in .. not sure why... I am gonna call apple tomorrow and see what they have to say, but thank you so much for your help...

Reaction score
With the installation disk in your drive, try to run Disk Utility from the disk. Repair permissions and also check the "Verify Disk" option. See if everything passes those tests.

Reaction score
When I ran verify disk in disk utility It said it seems to be OK ... For some reason when I try to open it from the desktop it keeps giving me application quit message . .. Not sure why...

Ask a Question