Help needed with Ipod touch!!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Could do with some assistance here as i'm pulling my hair out.

I recently bought a touch, i love it. I set it up and synced it with my flatmates powerbook as my powermac was out of action, now it's back up i want to manage it all from my computer. I don't mind if everything gets wiped and i start again, infact that what i want as i was it to sync with the music in my itunes.

I just plugged it in to the usb on my mac and it came up with the message "cannot detect ipod as the the pairing record is missing" or something simlar.

Help, what do i do to set it up from scratch again but on my 'puter?!

Thanks guys

Reaction score
It sounds like corrupted preferences or itunes to me.

Firstly, back up your music in itunes, using a program that allows you to do this.

Then, you need to find the preference files for itunes and delete them (or move them to a completely different place for safekeeping).

Then, shut down your system and leave off for 30 seconds. Restart it and uninstall itunes, and download the latest version and install it. Your preference files will be replaced with new ones.

Then start with the installation of the ipod again when a new pairing file will be created.

Reaction score
i had the same problem with my ipod touch...i dont know if its any help to anyone but i simply turned itunes off and unplugged my ipod then restarted itunes and reconected it...:/ sorry if its not any help.

Reaction score
Re: Help needed with "cannot detect ipod as the the pairing record is missing"

So I recently bought an Iphone 4s. I have a Macbook Pro so I use windows 7. If you can find your Item on your computer file, go to the Itunes properties. Go to Compatibility tab and under the compatibility mode drop-down menu check to make sure your computer preferences are set correctly.

Mine was not set on Windows 7, and once I switched it my Itunes now recognizes my Iphone.

Hope this helps!
--Samantha

Ask a Question