Help Needed Please

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I recently purchased a 2nd hand PowerMac G5 which is running OS X 10.4.3 but have a problem with used hard drive space. The old accounts have been deleted and it is just my user account on there now. I have run the query sudo du -hd1 / and can see that the directory /private/var/spool/cups/tmp is taking up 107gb of space. When i try to see what files are in this directory I get a permission denied error message.

Has anyone got any suggestions for freeing this space up??

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I recently purchased a 2nd hand PowerMac G5 which is running OS X 10.4.3 but have a problem with used hard drive space. The old accounts have been deleted and it is just my user account on there now. I have run the query sudo du -hd1 / and can see that the directory /private/var/spool/cups/tmp is taking up 107gb of space. When i try to see what files are in this directory I get a permission denied error message.

Thanks

Hello, have you tried using a good maintenance app? Here's a link to a good one called "MainMenu". Be sure to have it remove the temporary files along with cleaning out the caches, etc.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25902

karazelle

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Thanks

Try to issue "sudo bash" and then cd to the folder. I just tested it and it worked just fine. It simply opens up the shell as root so you don't need to enable the root user either.

Hope that helps :)

Ask a Question