Help me figure out the best way to use an external hard drive

Reaction score
Hey there!
I've got a sort of specific question. I'm an art student, and I trying to figure out how to keep my copy of Photoshop, inDesign, etc (along with my image files) on an external drive, so as to best save the limited amount of space on my iBook G4 (OS X 10.3.9). The problem is with the stuff that has to live in Library>Application Support>Adobe. Ideally, I would like to be able to keep all my image-related files, including all those fonts, on my external hard drive. Is there a way to install a copy of OS X on the external hard drive specifically so that I can run a few programs off of it? Does this solution even make sense, or is there something else that I should do?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Reaction score
it makes sense but i'm pretty sure that it is not possible. your best bet is to just store all of your old or uneeded graphic files on the external hardrive - and keep your applications + fonts on your ibook. it will be the graphic files that will be taking up a lot of the space, i believe. if you are still struggling for space, then i would suggest storing the music on your external hardrive (if you have any) that you aren't listening to at the moment. also, if you are hoping for an increased speed more than anything (i know that i struggled with the factory standard amount of ram when using photoshop, illustrator etc.) then i would serious suggest saving for a stick of ram. i am also a student and i don't regret the purchase.

Ask a Question