HDD cloning

Reaction score
SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner are two that spring to mind. I have used both and they are very good at what they do.
In the end I went for the paid version of SuperDuper as I needed the ability to schedule clones, plus their backup and customer care is excellent.

Reaction score
2nd the suggestion to get SuperDuper. It's very affordable and quite easy to use.

Reaction score
Disk Utility will make a bootable clone of a hard drive? Like SuperDuper? Or....?

My knowledge of Disk Utility appears to need an upgrade.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

You can clone a hard drive with Disk Utility, but it isn't as easy as with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!. The source drive has to be unmounted to create the clone, then you use the Restore function to add the data to the destination drive.

Use Disk Utility to Clone a Mac's Drive

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory. Here's the bottom line summary from the page you linked to:

Disk Utility is free and included with every copy of the Mac OS. And while the various cloning apps have a lot more features, if you don’t have access to third-party apps, using Disk Utility will create a perfectly usable clone, although it may require a few more steps and lacks some nice features, such as automation and scheduling.

Ask a Question