G5 takes 30 min. to start up! Help!

Reaction score
I bought a used G5 2 weeks ago although i've only used it for one week during which time I was loading all my info from a G4 onto it and installing graphics programs like Adobe CS2, etc. I've been able to surf, get email and create new files with no problems since the setup 5 days ago. The computer usually takes no more than 30 seconds to start up.

Then all of a sudden today I tried to start it up and it took a full 30 minutes to get to the final screen. When I tried to shut down to restart it again and see if it was just a fluke, it would just spin the color wheel forever after clicking on "shut down." I also wanted to shut it down because I started to hear a funny noise coming from the hard drive. I've heard dying drives on a G4 sound like something is hitting the fan, sort of like a knocking or clicking sound. I think that is the sound I was starting to hear again on the used G5.

I did start it up again and it still took another 30 minutes, but I didn't hear the knocking noise again. Both times I had to shut down by holding down the start button.

I'm trying to determine if this sounds like the hard drive is dying in which case my 90 day warranty should cover it. OR if it could have anything to do with loading the last of my smaller apps last night: Fetch, Extensis Suitcase and Toast Lite. I only loaded one font into Suticase last night and it should deactivate upon shut down so I don't think there should be a font issue.

Does this sound like a dying drive or a software issue? What can I do if it's a software issue. I can't seem to do anything even after it has started up. Please help!

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is a 1.8 dual G5 with OS 10.3 Panther on it. I bought it certified used from a used Mac dealer, but it does NOT appear to be refurbished.

Reaction score
i'd say that its your hard drive playing up but i cant say for sure
how ever seeing you stil have warranty on it id go back with it to the store why risk it ?
nothing might come of it now but something is bound to happen the moment your warranty runs out

Reaction score
Since I have already loaded all of my old files (including personal info) onto the G5, how can I be assured that my files will be removed completely if I end up switching it will another G5? What is the best procedure for removing personal info from the hard disk? Even though I cannot seem to get to the point of accessing much, I don't want to risk exposure of my info.

Reaction score
Hi Electrolounger
once started have you used the "disk utility" app to
a: repair permissions
b: test Disk
c: repair disk

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

if you want to securely erase the drive before giving it back...

Boot from your OS X Install DVD and got to the menu bar and select Disk Utility...

Then in Disk Utility erase your Hard drive using one of the "Secure Options"....this will be adequate, unless you have state secrets on there ;-)

secure-erase-001.jpg

secure-erase-002.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it. I'm definitely going to print all this out for future use. I didn't have the original OS disk to start up from and I didn't want to mess with the software lest the store thinks it's a software problem (which they don't cover). So I played it safe and just took it back.

With no hesitation, they put in another used hard drive (a Hitachi, is that good or bad?) and I'm now re-copying my info and re-installing all my software again. Ugh. (The first drive was a 6-month old Western Digital...so they claim.) I'm definitely going to push this machine to the limit during the next 90 days to see if it can take it.

I did trash all personal info first and emptied the trash. But that's all I was able to do given the exceedingly slow operation of the drive at that point. Even if they wanted to try to put that dying drive back into another computer to sell, they'd have to wipe it first and re-install the basic OS as they do with all their computers. Otherwise, the drive already seemed to be losing files. There were a few folders that had previously had files that were now just empty including the app folder for Word. So when you tried to open Word, it just put a question mark over the icon.

And as soon as I get some more money, I'll be buying a 2nd internal drive. I'm a little concerned about having a Hitachi as my main drive. I didn't even know the made hard drives.

Reaction score
Hello there

Western Digital? Ugh...I can't stand Western Digital drives. Every Western Digital drive I have ever owned has either burned up, exploded, or just died for no reason. These were all new drives too. I prefer Seagate or Maxtor. So I am not surprised that WD has given you those problems, if that's what was in your machine.

Hopefully you have better luck with the new HD. Enjoy your machine once you get your apps loaded again. Don't hesitate to run the **** out of you machine. It should take it just fine. Don't hesitate to ask more questions here either.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
Hello there

Western Digital? Ugh...I can't stand Western Digital drives. Every Western Digital drive I have ever owned has either burned up, exploded, or just died for no reason. These were all new drives too. I prefer Seagate or Maxtor. So I am not surprised that WD has given you those problems, if that's what was in your machine.

Hopefully you have better luck with the new HD. Enjoy your machine once you get your apps loaded again. Don't hesitate to run the **** out of you machine. It should take it just fine. Don't hesitate to ask more questions here either.

Cheerio
Searay

Your mileage will vary. :wink:

I've had two drives fail. A Seagate and a Maxtor.

Reaction score
I have had numerous discussions about HDs. My computer friends and myself started a poll (not on the web) about HDs and their life-span. Everyone comes back with different results. I love my Seagate and had no problems. But some say WD is great and they have had no problems. Some say that Maxtors are terrible. It really is amazing how random it all is.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
I have had numerous discussions about HDs. My computer friends and myself started a poll (not on the web) about HDs and their life-span. Everyone comes back with different results. I love my Seagate and had no problems. But some say WD is great and they have had no problems. Some say that Maxtors are terrible. It really is amazing how random it all is.

Cheerio
Searay
I'd like to know who makes hard drives for the DishNetwork 522 DVR/Receiver. I've had three fail.

Of course failures are like a lot of complaints about Apple quality control. While its nice that 99.99% of a product works perfectly it provides little comfort when you buy the 0.01% model.

Reaction score
arkstfan said:
I'd like to know who makes hard drives for the DishNetwork 522 DVR/Receiver. I've had three fail.

Please don't tell me that :D My parents just bought a new DirectTV system with DVR/Receivers. I know you said dish network, but you never know! :D I have to go to our cottage this weekend to show them how to use those things! LOL

Cheerio
Searay

PS, sorry for the digression :)

Ask a Question