Frozen Screen

Reaction score
I'm new here and not exactly tech savvy, but could really use some help if anyone knows the answer to my problems.

I have a MacBook Pro which is about four years old. Was using it this evening when it totally froze up. I can't even force a shutdown. None of the keys work on it. The little light in a slit on the front edge which fades on and off when it is running is not on at all.

Another thing it's been doing lately is showing the green light on the cord, as though it was totally charged up, when in reality it tells me it is only 95% or 98% charged. Maybe the battery is getting bad?

If there is anything else I could tell you about my computer that would help with a diagnosis, please let me know and I will try to get the information. I would really like some help. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

Another thing it's been doing lately is showing the green light on the cord, as though it was totally charged up, when in reality it tells me it is only 95% or 98% charged. Maybe the battery is getting bad?

I do not think so, unplug cord and let battery go to 16%, then replug and full charge, you could see 100%. Also how many count cycles have you done?
I can't even force a shutdown.
Do you mean that holding down the power button did not work and do a shut down?

Reaction score
Thanks for replying, oldscribe.

I'm not sure what you mean by "count cycles."

Correct about the power button. I pressed it numerous times, and it did not work.

Oh yeah, another thing: The screen went black and never lit back up. I left it sit for a couple of hours, and when I came back to it it was still black, but the cursor had appeared in the middle of the screen. So at that time I figured the keys were working again, and I pressed the power button and was able to turn it off at that time.

During the past three weeks or so, every once in awhile my screen has blinked, which didn't seem right to me. I'm wondering if that was a precursor to what happened to it last night.

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm not sure what you mean by "count cycles."
Click the Apple top left - About this Mac - More info - System report - Power in left pain as my screen shot.
Correct about the power button. I pressed it numerous times, and it did not work.
You just need to press and keep the button down until shutdown maybe a few seconds.
During the past three weeks or so, every once in awhile my screen has blinked, which didn't seem right to me.
It sounds to me like a graphics card issue.:(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 22.04.16.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 22.04.16.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 338
Reaction score
Hello.

Here is a copy from my computer of the section you attached:

Cell Revision: 0157
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 5001
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 6603
Health Information:
Cycle count: 156
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -1341
Voltage (mV): 11668

I did press the power button for several seconds, but maybe since none of the keys were working the power button was messed up too?

So, graphics card is bad news, huh? Can it be fixed and is it pretty expensive?

Reaction score
Don't know if this is significant, but it was upon reopening the laptop that the screen was black and wouldn't come back on as it usually does. But it had already frozen up before I had closed it.

Reaction score
No. Since you suggested I needed to run the battery out I have kept it unplugged (except for when I uploaded the picture of Bob, my groundhog).

Reaction score
Hi,

That's fine then re battery, personally I would book a Genius Bar appointment and get the techs to check it out, as I said sounds like a graphic card issue and they could definitively give you an answer and cost.

Reaction score
I am very appreciative of the time and effort you have taken to try to help me and to come up with suggestions. Thank you. Take care.

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to not be more positive but think a GB appointment will be you quickest route, keep us posted.

Reaction score
Help. I just bought my notebook a few days ago. It froze when I lost internet connectivity while starting up on day one. It's been switched off for about two days and I just rebooted it to find this screen frozen still. I am too new to even figure out the right swipes help.

Reaction score
Hi,

You could try the following,
1) Hold down the Control key and the Eject button momentarily. You should get a menu for the following Restart/Sleep/Cancel/Shutdown.
2) Shutdown should be the default. 3) Hit return to Shutdown.

4) If the above does not help then press and hold the power button for a quarter minute or until the Mac powers down.
5) Now reboot.

Personally as you say this is a new Mac I would book a GB appointment at your nearest Apple store and explain what happened. But post back re results.

Reaction score
hi, thanks, i wish you could see the foolish look of joy on my face as i figured out how to shutdown a mac :D, stupid me for not trying control eject, its been a while, thats what happens when you spend a year on an iPad then jump to a MacBook. thanks a lot. We have third world country issues so no GB for now. i really appreciate this thanks a lot

Reaction score
Hi,

Not at all foolish, any question is welcome:) that's what the forum is all about. And from your post I take it your past the frozen screen now.

Reaction score
Oldscribe, I hadn't been on here since I was having problems back in February. Just wanted to tell you that I never had the problem again that I was having then. Hope it stays that way. Thanks for all your efforts!

Ask a Question