Friend gave me a Macbook Pro and I cannot in anyway seem to install an OS on it.

Reaction score
Hey I'm posting here because I am at my wits end. I was given a older macbook pro with no hard drive. I checked the serial number and the version I have is a
Apple MacBook Pro 15-Inch "Core i7" 2.2 Late 2011 A1286. I have a spare WD 500GB hdd thats been used once and thought I would just install Lion on it and get it up and running again. Now when I was given this laptop I was told nothing was wrong with it my friend just kept the hard drive.

Well trying to install an OS on this machine has been breaking my head. I am using a flash drive with Lion installed on it through TransMac. I work on PC's mostly but I want to get this up and running for my mom as her needs are very low and the laptop is in great condition. My issue is no matter what I do I hold the option key down to bring up the drives and I select the USB that has Lion on it so it can boot it. It brings up the Apple Logo and a spinning loading thing and after about 10 or so seconds it will just vanish and stay on a white screen. When that happened the first time I tried other versions. I saw that this model can go up to 10.13 High Sierra. Well for some reason 10.13 to 10.10 whenever I try and boot it through the USB it goes to a blue screen and nothing happens. Only 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 don't give me a blue screen but they all do the same thing the apple logo shows up I see the spinning loading and then after a couple of seconds it disappears and stays on a white screen as if it cannot boot into it. I've searched high and low for answers but to no avail. If anyone can help me with this situation I would greatly appreciate it.

I tried putting as much information as possible here and if anyone thinks of more info needed I will be glad to provide it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That Mac originally came with OS X 10.7.2 Lion, and can support up to macOS 10.13.6 as you mentioned.

It is my understanding that TransMac is a Windows application that allows you to copy files to a Macintosh formatted disks...is that correct?

-Is Lion actually installed on the flash drive, or does it just contain the installer?
-Where did you get the Lion and other Mac OS X installers?
-You could try the following to install OS X without using the flash drive: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery

Let us know how that goes,

C

Ask a Question