Formatted external disk is not empty at all....

Reaction score
Dear all!
I have a MAC with OSX El Capitan and an external harddisk, LaCie 160GB, (was FAT32). The latter contained 'old data' I wanted to save, but I wanted to add pictures from the Mac (~50GB) to this disk. I first copied the 'old data' from the LaCie to the MAC (no problem) and then formatted the LaCie using MAC OS journaled. After this I recopied the 'old data' to the La Cie and added copies of the pictures from the MAC. No problem thus far, all what I intended to store is now there and looks OK. But the LaCie apparently contains much more than I put on it, taking space of some extra 80 GB! I cannot see what kind of data this space contains and it is classified as 'other' when looking with the Disk Utility. It looks like formatting does not fully 'clean' the disk at all. What to do and how to get hold of the extra space I badly need by cleaning it?
Thank you beforehand for your suggestions and /or solutions!
Dirk

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Do you still have the data on the Mac that you copied from the LaCie?
-In Disk Utility, does the LaCie show more than one partition?

C

Ask a Question