Format not supported

Reaction score
I got this really neat little 'Go Pro' knock off on Amazon at a price that I could afford but unfortunately it doesn't support the Mac by a cable connection or SDCard format ( there was no indication of this situation until I had printed out the manual ). The SD Card format is FAT32.

The manufacturer ( Dragon Touch Vision 3 Pro is the camera ) is very responsive to emails but can only suggest transferring pics and video from the camera to my iPhone, or get a compatible tablet, but I need to ultimately get them into my Mac. Transferring into the iPhone seems a bit of a clunky method, and then could I even get them into the Mac in whatever form they were in. I notice that the format for an SD Card for myPanasonic Lumix camera is ExFat, is there some relationship among these 'FAT' formats?

I hate to send this little camera back as it is such a good deal with the waterproof case and lots of different mounting options for all kinds of things, two batteries and it only cost me $60 CDN after $25 coupon on Amazon.

Any suggestions from you Mac photographers in the know?

Thanks in advance for any help forthcoming.

Reaction score
Hi,

The SD Card format is FAT32.
As far as I know all USB sticks are FAT32 and read by the Mac fine.
Does your Mac have a card reader?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a similar camera and I just put the micro sd card into an sd size adapter and stick it in my mac I can then transfer the files by 'drag & drop'

Reaction score
I have a similar camera and I just put the micro sd card into an sd size adapter and stick it in my mac I can then transfer the files by 'drag & drop'
Yes Lufbra, I did the same but got the message that the card is not readable by this computer. the camera formats the card as FAT32. When I reformat the card via the Mac to Exfat then the camera can't write to the card. Is there any way that you can determine the format of the card in your camera ... I suspect that it is Exfat and compatible to the Mac. I'd appreciate it if you'd take the trouble to check.
Oh btw, do you ever go in The Cuckoo Bush in Gotham ... my brother in law lives right across the street ?
Thanks for your reply.

Can anybody suggest a cheap solution of getting to transfer pics from this camera to my Mac, maybe a really reasonable PC format tablet to download them to and then email them to the Mac or ???

I have tried transferring them to my iPhone which the tech support say is doable but even though I can get the iPhone Wifi to see and connect to the camera there are no files showing on the iPhone screen where they should be.

Thanks in advance !

Reaction score
The camera is in Madrid with my son at the moment, I will check with him.
I do not go to Gotham very often, but do pass through now and then, on the way to Nottingham.

Reaction score
Hi there,

For the most part nowadays media manufacturers preformat there media using common block-and-cluster sizes that don’t approach the theoretical limits of a given file system.

Most SD cards use the FAT32 file format, and preformatted FAT32 SD media is commonly available up to a capacity of 32GB. Media that exceeds 32GB usually uses the exFAT file system, while some smaller capacity cards use the FAT16 file format. Preformatted FAT16 media is generally available up to a capacity of 2GB.

Reaction score
Hi there,

For the most part nowadays media manufacturers preformat there media using common block-and-cluster sizes that don’t approach the theoretical limits of a given file system.

Most SD cards use the FAT32 file format, and preformatted FAT32 SD media is commonly available up to a capacity of 32GB. Media that exceeds 32GB usually uses the exFAT file system, while some smaller capacity cards use the FAT16 file format. Preformatted FAT16 media is generally available up to a capacity of 2GB.
Disk Utility only gives me the option of formatting the 2 Mac Options, the MS DOS option or EXFat. The 64 gb Mini SD that is in the camera is formatted Fat 32 but the camera and is not readable by the Mac.

Reaction score
Hi,

Personally I would buy a new cheap low MB card any of the following are good.

1. Samsung Evo Plus microSD card
  2. Samsung Pro+ microSD card
  3. SanDisk Extreme Plus microSD card
  4. Lexar 1000x microSD card
  5. Samsung Evo Select microSD card
  6. SanDisk Ultra microSD
  7. Kingston microSD Action Camera

Then no formatting put in camera and use then into Mac card reader and see if it is a card issue.

Reaction score
Hi,

Personally I would buy a new cheap low MB card any of the following are good.

1. Samsung Evo Plus microSD card
  2. Samsung Pro+ microSD card
  3. SanDisk Extreme Plus microSD card
  4. Lexar 1000x microSD card
  5. Samsung Evo Select microSD card
  6. SanDisk Ultra microSD
  7. Kingston microSD Action Camera

Then no formatting put in camera and use then into Mac card reader and see if it is a card issue.
The card that I bought to use in the camera is a 64gb SanDisk Extreme ( not plus ). What difference does gb size of the card make if it's format is still Fat32 that the camera requires and the Mac won't read. I could probably invest in a basic PC type Tablet and transfer the pics to that.
I have had communication with the manufacturers' customer support and they are very responsive but state that the product is no Mac compatible.

Reaction score
Hi,

What difference does gb size of the card make if it's format is still Fat32 that the camera requires and the Mac won't read

It is not the FAT32 file system that your Mac can't read, but the video format.

So simple question what file format are the vid's this camera produces?

customer support and they are very responsive but state that the product is no Mac compatible.

Yup seems fine on the iPhone and iPad. I found this and the image shows you would need the XDV app here for WiFi connection.
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/xdv/id1032915274

Attachments

• cam1.jpg
    cam1.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

I have finally found out that this camera's movie format is MOV and I understand that this is the format for Quick Time which is a Mac app so there might be some possibilities there.

It is not the FAT32 file system that your Mac can't read, but the video format.

So simple question what file format are the vid's this camera produces?

Yup seems fine on the iPhone and iPad. I found this and the image shows you would need the XDV app here for WiFi connection.
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/xdv/id1032915274
I'm not quite sure what this pic is showing me unless it is from a similar camera such as GoPro that is Mac compatible.

Ask a Question