Flash files are skipping/HOT

Reaction score
I have a newish MBP
2.4 ghz 2 GB
OS 10.4

2 questions:

First, I'm having problems with flash files. Websites like Pandora.com (flash-based radio), myspace music pages, or any other flash files are skipping. Sometimes the video skips and sometimes it doesn't but the audio always does. It's highly annoying.

I cleaned out things I know to clean out but I'm relatively new to Apple and I might be missing something. Is it possible that its because my hard-drive is 70% full? (Bootcamp with Vista :mad: )

Second, my MBP has never had a heating problem. I have the SMC Fan control and have always noticed the temp stay around 90-110 *F, but recently I've seen constant spikes of 180+ and it hardly ever goes below 130*F. What should I be looking for?

Thanks a ton guys, I wish I had more time to research and solve my own problems but I've been pretty busy.

Any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
MacR - can't help you with the flash files problem.

I have a MBP 17" and it is currently running at 50 Celsius or 122 Fahrenheit and all I have done is check my email. If I am running several programs at once and using the DVD burner I often see temperatures like you say you get. But this only if I am making it work for a living.
Having said that my daughter has an Asus 15.4" laptop and it is very hot on her legs although she does not monitor temps. At one stage I could hear the fan across the room working hard. I pulled the back off and found quite a lot of dust accumulated in the vent for the graphics card fan which was causing it to struggle to get cooling air into the machine. Once I cleaned that out the laptop ran much cooler and quieter, although it is still quite warm on the legs.

Reaction score
MacR - can't help you with the flash files problem.

I have a MBP 17" and it is currently running at 50 Celsius or 122 Fahrenheit and all I have done is check my email. If I am running several programs at once and using the DVD burner I often see temperatures like you say you get. But this only if I am making it work for a living.
Having said that my daughter has an Asus 15.4" laptop and it is very hot on her legs although she does not monitor temps. At one stage I could hear the fan across the room working hard. I pulled the back off and found quite a lot of dust accumulated in the vent for the graphics card fan which was causing it to struggle to get cooling air into the machine. Once I cleaned that out the laptop ran much cooler and quieter, although it is still quite warm on the legs.

yeah, I'm aware of how the Mac's are supposed to run hot, but it worries me because it hasn't been hot the whole time I've had it (5 or 6 months).

Ask a Question