Finally moved from PC to MAC, now I ned help!

Reaction score
We are awaiting our new Mac Pro to be delivered before Christmas, wife and I own IPhones and pro IPads, so we have some knowledge about Mac, here are some questions that fore many of you is common knowledge but for us it’s all new.

1) Can I sync our Mac to our NAS? And if so, will it save only the newest files or would we have duplicates?
2) If I make a folder and load photos there from the photos app and then delete the photos from the iCloud, would they also delete from my created folder?
3) Is there a way to sync my phone and IPad plus my wife’s IPad and phone to the cloud so all 4 devices load files?

Thanks in advance for any help, we have some more questions but we are trying to understand the differences between windows and Mac.

Reaction score
Depending on your NAS will determine what features that you have.

What do you mean by sync to the NAS?

Most NAS's also have file sharing and photo sharing apps that you may want to explore. As well most NAS's will support Time Machine for Backups. You can read more about Time Machine backups here: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/back-up-files-mh35860/mac

Photos on the Mac are stored in a .photoslibrary package. Your Photos Library is tied to your AppleID, so you you and your wife would have seperate libraries. You can put your photo library on your NAS and use it to sync your photos. It will need to be mounted though in order for it to sync to the cloud for actions such as deleting and adding files. Once you create your photo library on your NAS, you will need to make it the "System Library" you would do this in the Photos settings.

Your Apple Devices are tied to your AppleID so you can put some files in your iCloud folder so that you can access the files on multiple devices.

Without knowing more about how you need to access files and what NAS you have, I hope that this gives you some guidance.

Ask a Question