Final Cut Pro on G3 OSX

Reaction score
Hi.
I am very new to macs. I bought a G3 i-mac to use Final Cut Pro on it. The mac came with OS 9.1 where I installed Final Cut Pro 2 and it worked perfectly. My friend updated my mac to OSX which means I can't use the version of Final Cut Pro that I had previously installed. Does anyone know which version I am now able to use? I don't want to pay for something that won't work.
I appreciate any help!
Becs

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Becs and welcome,

How much Memory do you have on your iMac and what version of OS X are you now running ?

Is it Final Cut Pro you need ? The Upgrade is $700 from Final Cut Pro vers 2 !!!

Final Cut Pro is now part of a bundle of software called "Final Cut Studio" ($1299)

Depending on your needs...Final Cut Express is very good...$299 for the new version.

What sort of editing are you doing ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric. Thanks for your support.

I am now running Tiger OSX and memory-wise I think I now have 192 MB. Alot of memory has been taken up by language and printer drivers that I don't need and will soon be taking off. It's a 400 MHz i-mac.
I am hoping to use a version of Final Cut Pro to do digital video editing. I have been using Final Cut Pro 4 at college - so I am used to using that programme. I think final cut pro 2 is still in an old folder on the i-mac, but I can't run it as it won't open in OSX. I was wondering if final cut pro 3 would work or if there was a way to run final cut pro 2 in OSX and upgrade it. I think the apple website offer free downloads to upgrade final cut software.

Becs

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Final Cut Pro 3 and up will work on OS X it needs at least 10.2.1 and 256MB of RAM...but you need version 3 first the updates on Apples site wouldn't be free for upgrading version 2 to 3 etc...

Final Cut Express is in essence FCP it just doesn't have all the features. But if you are used to FCP then it's an easy transition.

Either way, it's going to run quite slow on a 400MHZ iMac. The rendering times will be quite long...

Do college have any 'spare' licences that they will let you have...sounds like you'd be better off running FCP 4.

Shame your College haven't updated yet...always best to be working on the latest version, especially if you want to get a job using it !

Final Cut Express HD Interface...

fcescreen.jpg

regards

Ric

Ask a Question