My Final Cut Pro 7 App will not launch!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

We're going to need a little more information:

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Will the other apps in Final Cut Studio launch?
-How much free space on the HD?

C

Reaction score
Mac Pro 2011
OS X 10.8.5
FCP 7.03
Processor: 2X 2.4 GHz, Quad Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 20 GB RAM, 1066.MHz DDR3
Did not try the other apps in Final Cut Studio, but will let you know about that.
Should be enough space on HD, but will have to check that too. (Do you mean a specific external hard drive with my footage or the MAC start up drive?)

I am a good editor but technically challenged. I have many, many external hard drives. I've been shooting this project over 25 years; each shoot is on a different external hard drive.

I am panicked.....

Thanks for your quick response!

My best,
Micki

Reaction score
Yes, free space on startup drive.

Let us know about the other apps.

C
The MAC drive has a capacity of 999.86 GB with 242.53 GB available (This is my start up drive, right?)
I don't think I have Final Cut Studio. What else would be there besides the final cut program? All the other apps do open including Sound studio, IDVD, compressor, etc.

I really appreciate you help Cory.....

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

That is plenty of free space. It is the startup drive, if it has the Applications/Library/System/Users folders on it.

Final Cut Studio 3 is a suite of apps that contains:
Final Cut Pro 7
Motion 4
Soundtrack Pro 3
DVD Studio Pro 4
Color 1.5
Compressor 3.5
Cinema Tools 4.5
Qmaster 3

When you launch it, does it get to the Final Cut banner and start loading things? If so, where does it fail and crash?

C

Reaction score
The MAC drive has a capacity of 999.86 GB with 242.53 GB available (This is my start up drive, right?)
I don't think I have Final Cut Studio. What else would be there besides the final cut program? All the other apps do open including Sound studio, IDVD, compressor, etc.

I really appreciate you help Cory.....[/QUOTE

Cory, I do have Final Cut Studio Pro; Motion, DVD Studio Pro and Cinema tools ALL open fine. The only thing that does not open is Final Cut 7. It starts to launch and then it spins and freezes and I have to force quit.

Again mu thanks!!!

Reaction score
No worries.

That is plenty of free space. It is the startup drive, if it has the Applications/Library/System/Users folders on it.

Final Cut Studio 3 is a suite of apps that contains:
Final Cut Pro 7
Motion 4
Soundtrack Pro 3
DVD Studio Pro 4
Color 1.5
Compressor 3.5
Cinema Tools 4.5
Qmaster 3

When you launch it, does it get to the Final Cut banner and start loading things? If so, where does it fail and crash?

C
Yes, I have Final Cut Studio 3 and they all open fine, Motion, DVD Studio, etc. FCP 7 begins to launch; it appears to stop when loading Master templates. It goes so fast, hard to read it, but did see it stopped at Master templates and freezes and starts to spin.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Try the Delete the User Preferences steps from this Apple document:

Final Cut Pro 7: Troubleshooting Basics

C[/QUOT
Thanks so much for the Troubleshooting Basics. I called a friend who is an editor who said he would come over and help me, just not sure when he can do it. It looks too complicated for me to do myself, and I'm so nervous about doing something wrong. I appreciate your help Cory and will let you know how this turns out! At least, you've made me feel this can be fixed! My very best to you! Micki

Reaction score
Dear Cory,

Just wanted to let you know, we were able to trash the FCP 7 preferences and that worked! It was a much easier fix than I thought. Thanks so much for all your help!

Best,
Micki Dickoff

Ask a Question